Somnique

I wake with a gasp, shooting straight up. Sweat clings to my forehead as my chest pumps in and out frantically. What the hell just happened? What the hell did I just dream? My breath comes out in gasps as I rub my hands over my face. I try to clear my mind from the dream, blinking as I start to take in my surroundings. And that's when I notice I'm in my car...on the side of the road...

What the...

Shifting in the driver's seat, I look out the car windows around me, trying to determine where the hell I am. All that meets my sight, however, is trees. Confused and dazed from the dream, I reach for my phone, dialing Stefan. When he picks up, his voice is frantic. "Lils? What's going on? Where are you?"

I frown at his words. "What do you mean?"

Stefan's voice is filled with confusion. "What do you mean what do I mean? Where are you? We were expecting you two days ago."

A small gasp falls from my lips as my muddled mind tries to keep up. "Two days? What? I saw you last night? You and Damon."

There's a long pause on Stefan's end. "Lily...neither Damon or I saw you last night. I haven't seen you since Damon and Bonnie disappeared. Two days ago, Damon came back. We called you. You said you were coming, and then, you never did. We've been calling and calling, but you haven't been answering."

My grip on my phone loosens a bit as I start shaking my head, squeezing my eyes shut. "No. No. We talked last night, and I was in Mystic Falls last night. We all reunited at the Boarding House."

"Lily," Stefan says, gently as worry fills his words. "Mystic Falls is an anti-magic zone. The Traveler's cast their spell, remember? We couldn't have met at the Boarding House because crossing into Mystic Falls would have killed us all."

"Then..." I start before stopping as I try to piece together my brother's words. If it's been two days...and seeing them wasn't real...then, what's happening to me? Fear like I haven't felt in a while suddenly swells in my chest. "Stefan," I whisper, "what's happening?"

"I-I don't know, Lils, but we'll figure it out together. Where are you? I'll come get you." Glancing outside the car windows again, I urge myself to keep calm as I answer.

"I don't know, Stefan. I'm surrounded by trees."

Seeming to sense the panic welling up in me, Stefan's voice drops to a low reassuring tone. "It's okay, Lils. I'll start driving toward New Orleans, and I'll find you. Are you able to drive? To find the nearest town?" He asks.

I nod to myself, straightening in my seat. "Yeah, yeah. I can do that."

"Okay, text me when you have a town name, and I'll meet you there."

"Okay, I will."

A moment of silence passes between us, neither of us wanting to hang up quite yet. "Everything will be okay, Lily. I'll find you, and everything will be okay. We'll figure it out. Okay?"

"Yeah," I whisper. "Okay."

Stefan and I hang up, and I take a moment to try to gather myself. Then, with a determined breath, I start the engine and drive. I have no idea what happened to me, nor why I'm missing two days, but I can figure that out once I'm with my brothers. For now, all I can manage is driving, concentrating on nothing else expect figuring out where I am.

After a few miles, I pull into a gas station in a small town I typically pass on my way to Mystic Falls. So, I was on my way here whenever whatever happened to me happened two days ago. I was just stopped amidst my journey by that bizarre dream. I text Stefan the town, and he asks me to stay put, so for once, I decide to comply. I don't know if I trust myself right now to even continue if I wanted to.