The Paramour

A grand breakfast spread lays in front of me, ostentatiously arranged by my beloved in his scheme to turn Finn and Kol against Esther. Compelled waiters surround us in the ballroom as Klaus gives a toast to begin breakfast, sat at the head of the table. I sit to his left with Elijah next to me. Kol is across from me and Finn next to him. Both remain in their magic-containing manacles. "Today, a new future awaits. Forget your animosity toward Elijah and myself. Instead, join us against she who truly deserves your ire: our mother. Do this, and we will welcome you with open arms!"

"Well-" Kol starts, reaching for a pastry, which Elijah moves out of his way. Kol rolls his eyes and sags down in his seat.

Klaus smiles. "But, if you continue to oppose us, a denial of pastries will be the least of your concerns."

Kol sighs. "If all you wanted was my allegiance against Mother Dearest, you should have said so. Save me a night shackled to the wall." My eyes narrow at his words. Just a couple of days ago, he was determined that he and I could never be on the same side. To say I trust him now would be a lie.

"Yes, this was Niklaus," Elijah pipes in. "My recommendation was to remove your limbs, one by one, until you comply." The comment is atypical for the Elijah I know, especially when concerning family, but ever since we rescued him from Esther, he's been off...darker in a way he never was before.

Klaus stands and laughs, trying to wave off Elijah's words and distract his brothers from Elijah's change. Moving behind Kol and Finn, he rests his hands on their shoulders. "We've no desire to torture you. Provided you vow to stand beside us as brothers."

"Brothers. Does that word even apply to us? After all these centuries of betrayal? And you mentioned animosity toward Elijah and you, but what if my animosity also lies with your paramour?" Finn's gaze settles on me, hatred in them. I return his stare with a smirk, willing him to try something.

"C'mon, Finn. Don't be so sensitive. You've lived a thousand years, you would've thought you'd have tougher skin by now," I taunt him. Finn's glare shifts into a glower as I observe him actively restraining himself from lunging at me. Klaus's tightened grip on his shoulder also helps.

"Hmm, thank you for that reminder. For you're right, I have lived for a thousand years, but rarely was I awake for those years thanks to my brother." Klaus releases his grip on Finn. "Has loyalty to you ever rewarded?" He asks Klaus. "If so, tell me, Niklaus, where is our sister, Rebekah?" Klaus turns away from Finn as Elijah's gaze narrows. "She was blindly loyal to you for a thousand years, and now? Nowhere to be found." Watching Klaus's back, I can tell he's nervous from cues I've picked up after knowing him for so long. Finn asking about Rebekah is not good. Especially when Rebekah is protecting our most important secret. "Where did our sister go? And, how did she escape your vile machinations?"

To cover his nerves, Klaus laughs gently, sitting back down in his seat. "You think me vile? What, then, do you make of the one who cursed us?"

Finn is quick to come to Esther's defense. Her little guard dog. "She was trying to make you mortal again!" Elijah picks up at knife at his sudden tone. "That you both refused her, only proves how far you've fallen. But, I expect Rebekah will have a different response to her proposal. See, unlike the two of you, she always did cling to her humanity."

"Rebekah is off-limits to you. You pursue her, and you will suffer!" Elijah threatens his older brother, pointing the knife in his direction. I watch as both Finn and Kol's eyes widen, clearly surprised by Elijah's uncharacteristic outburst.

"Do not let him goad you, Elijah. Neither he, nor Esther, will find Rebekah unless she wants to be found, and she does not."

"Esther is quite determined. She's been searching for Rebekah since the day she returned. I imagine it's only a matter of time."