Run, Run, Run

I knock on the door of the quaint yellow house in front of me. A moment passes before the door opens. When her eyes meet mine, she grins. Then, a squeal slips from her lips as she pulls me into a tight hug. I giggle at her antics, hugging her back. It's the first time I've seen Rebekah since coming back from the Other Side.

"Lily!" She pulls away, smiling at me. "I'm so glad you're here. Come. Come," she ushers me into the house. I follow her in, and she leads me to the dining room, beckoning me to sit down at the table. I do, and she sits across from me. "How are you? How are things in New Orleans? How are my brothers and Hayley? Have-"

"Woah, slow down." I laugh at her.

"Sorry," she smiles sheepishly. "I've enjoyed my time with Hope, but being out of the loop has been hard."

"No worries, I get it. And to answer you questions, things are, well as you know, a bit of a shit show right now." With that, I begin to debrief her on all the drama that has happened over the past few weeks, involving her siblings and parents. I know her brothers have kept her relatively in the know as much as possible, but part of trying to keep Hope safe means limited communication, so there's a lot to fill in for the Mikaelson sister. "And now, I'm here," I conclude, "which leaves me to ask," I start, looking around the house, "why here?"

Rebekah allows her eyes to dance over the space as she processes my words and question before meeting my gaze again. "This is where we spent Christmas the year after fleeing Mikael."

I take in her words, trying to move past the thought of Mikael, 1919, and all that year brought. "Arkansas," I whisper. Rebekah frowns at me, her eyes gleaming with sorrow and a tinge of guilt. "You were all so close."

"Lily-"

"No. No. It's okay, I promise. I'm moving past it, I'm moving onward. There's no need to placate me now. What happened is in the past." When Rebekah doesn't look convinced, I smile at her. "Really Rebekah, I promise I'm fine." She takes in my sincerity and gives me a small smile. Ready to change the subject, I turn the attention onto her. "So what happened last night with Elijah?"

Rebekah sighs before telling her tale. She tells me about how she and Elijah met up in a diner outside of town yesterday, and all seemed well until she took Hope to the bathroom to change her diaper, and along the way, discovered that Elijah had murdered a dozen people. She knew the amount of people dead would draw Esther's attention, so to protect Hope, she snapped Elijah's neck and fled under Klaus's direction here. "In that moment, I did not recognize my brother," Rebekah admits to me. "I mean, when have you known him to kill when he could otherwise compel?"

I echo Rebekah's frown. "Yes, I fear that your mother hurt him more than any of us could imagine, breaking something within him. I, unfortunately, now have a first-hand taste regarding her skills at royally fucking up your mind."

Rebekah's hand reaches out for mine, squeezing it. "We will find a way to stop her and put an end to this madness." I smile weakly at her, my confidence draining for a moment with the thought of how much Esther screwed up Elijah. Rebekah takes note of this, standing up and looking at me proudly. "Stay right here, I have a surprise for you." She takes off before I can say anything and quickly returns with a bundle in her arms. The bundle is a baby, but not any baby, Klaus's baby. Hope.

Standing from my seat in surprise, I subconsciously take a step back. Rebekah notes this and smirks at me. "Oh, please don't tell me that the great Lily Salvatore is scared of a little baby."

I roll my eyes, crossing my arms over my chest. "I'm not scared, Rebekah."

"Prove it. Here," she holds Hope out for me to take. I frown. Rebekah frowns in return when I don't move.