By Your Side

Walking down the stairs of the Manor, Klaus and Rebekah's voices reach my ear. I pause on the stairs, hidden behind the wall. The two cannot see me from their place in the parlor as they eat breakfast. I know that I shouldn't eavesdrop, but I know that these two have things to hash out, and from experience, I've learned that it's better not to be in the middle of a Mikaelson fight.

"Let me give a voice to that look in your eyes," Klaus tells his sister. I hear a glass put down as he mocks her, "My saintly noble brother lies writhing in agony in the Bayou, victim of my bastard brother's bite, when just one or two drops of his blood would ease his pain."

After I informed Rebekah of Elijah's new situation, suffering the effects of a werewolf bite courtesy of Klaus, she was angry to say the least. I cannot blame her though. The Mikaelson siblings love fiercely, and sometimes that fierceness is what makes them blind. I do not agree with Klaus biting his brother, nor do I agree with Elijah's hasty accusations. But I will remain here, with Klaus. I know that Hayley will take care of Elijah, the care the two hold for each other obvious, and I will make sure Klaus doesn't reap anymore havoc.

"On the contrary, Nik, I am simply enjoying my brekkie, waiting for Elijah's healthy return." I raise a brow at Rebekah's calmness. I've always known her to be one to react, but this...this calmness is different. It's almost unsettling.

"Oh, come on Rebekah, you've been giving me the devil's eye all morning. Out with it!"

"Perhaps I'm concerned that if I voice my opinion about what you did to Elijah, I will end up on the wrong side of your toxic hybrid teeth."

"Poppycock!" Klaus exclaims. "I would never bite you. Elijah made some very offensive accusations about my intentions towards my child. He deserves a day or two of discomfort." There's a shifting in the chairs. "Besides, you know my preferred method of punishment for your indiscretions is the dagger." I close my eyes at Klaus's threat. He can never just have a normal conversation with his siblings, can he?

A chair scoots back as a hand slam against the table. "There is something fundamentally wrong with you." Sharp heels strike the wood floor as Rebekah leaves the room. When she enters the foyer, her head turns to find me on the stairs. We share a look. She shakes her head, a you-deal-with-him gesture, leaving through the front door.

I sigh, walking down the rest of the stairs. Klaus sits in a chair, his back facing me, alone at the table. A cup of blood is tilted to his lips as I walk around and take Rebekah's previous spot. Our eyes lock. His blue orbs search mine, looking for signs of disappointment or anger, but I make sure that they show nothing. After a few more moments of searching for clues to how I feel and getting nowhere, he sets his glass down. "Say it already."

I grab my knife, reaching out for a piece of toast and the butter. I shrug. "There's nothing to say." I begin spreading the butter onto my toast.

"Really?" His voice is filled with skepticism. "I just threatened my sister, she left in a storm, and you have nothing to say?"

Leaning back in my seat, I place the knife down on the table, taking a bite of my toast. I meet his gaze. "Clearly, I don't need to tell you what you did was wrong when you just summarized it yourself." I take another bite as a silence elopes us. Klaus's eyes squint. I can tell that he's trying to figure me out. He must think my attitude to be a game of sorts, but it's not. His paranoia of traps and tricks can get old. I need him to know that with me there is no game, no traps or tricks. I could tell him, but he'll never listen. He needs to learn it for himself. "Nik," I say softly, "I am not going to be some voice, hovering over your shoulder, scolding you for every misstep. That's not who I am nor who I want to be. You know when you mess up, you don't need me to point it out." I pop the rest of my toast in my mouth, finishing it.