A Story for a Story

I leave Stefan a couple of weeks later. Our hearts still heavy with grief, I stayed to mourn with him. However, we both knew we would eventually have to return to our lives, no matter the new sorrow we carry now. So, he remained in Mystic Falls after bidding me farewell with promises to call and check in. I ventured on to see Jess and our friends. I owed them a huge apology.

When Jess saw me standing outside her apartment door, she promptly threw the door open and tackled me into a hug. She then spent the next few hours alternating between crying and yelling at me. Several light glares were thrown my way as she expressed her hurt, and I spent another hour apologizing thoroughly. I admitted that I was wrong to keep her in the dark, and that I trust her, I was only scared. The rest of the evening we spent in perfect contentment. I'm happy to have my best friend back.

Seeing the rest of my friends the following day wasn't any easier. Like Jess, they were conflicted between being relieved and happy to see me and feeling anger at me for keeping such a large secret from them. Again, I gave them space, as I did with Jess, to express their hurt feelings. Then, I apologized to them too. That night was completed with some alcohol and a good chat. Although I stayed up to date with most things from the Other Side, I still had a lot to catch up on.

After spending the next few days with Jess and the others, I knew it was time...time to go home. It's not that I haven't been dying to see Klaus since returning to the land of the living. It was only that I knew that Stefan needed me, and I had amends to make with my friends first because once I go to New Orleans--to Klaus--I have no intention to leave for a while.

I take a deep breath as I step into the Mikaelson Compound. My heart is racing, my breath hasty. Already, I can feel the tears pooling in my eyes from my excitement, but mainly the overwhelming amount of love I feel right now. My steps are quick but silent as I step into the house. I already know where he'll be, and my feet take me there. Once outside Klaus's art studio, I hold my breath. His back is turned toward me. Only the noise of his paint brush gliding along the canvas fills the air. A garden composed with purples, blues, pinks, oranges, yellows, and greens is half-finished as he touches up the hues in what appears to be a daisy. I smile. His intoxicating scent fills my nose as I watch him work. The muscles in his back shifting and adjusting as he moves his hand, dipping his brush across his palette to collect more paint.

"It's beautiful," I murmur.

Klaus tenses at my words. His whole body locks up as his breath hitches.

"I like that shade of purple on the right. What it's called? Lilac..." Klaus's paint brush slips from his hand. It clatters against the ground as flecks of paint fly onto the floor. Almost as if bracing himself, his fists clench together as he turns around in one quick movement. When his eyes find mine, he gasps. His hands unclasp, and he stumbles back.

Leaning my hip against the door-frame, I grin at him. "Hello stranger."

A moment of silence passes, and then...

Klaus's jaw hangs loose as he approaches me. Each step filled with hesitation and disbelief. "Lily," he whispers. I stand up straight as he nears, a mere step away. "Is it...is it really you?" His hand raises to my cheek, gently caressing it as if he's afraid touching me will send me away. When his hand meets my skin, his eyes flicker shut as a breath of relief falls from his lips.

Placing my hand upon his, I will him to open his eyes. He does, and a rush of emotion shoots through my chest. Those eyes. I've missed those beautiful eyes, and getting to see those eyes again as a living being...my breath catches in my throat. "It's me, Nik." Klaus's lip quivers at his name. "It's really me." I let the words fall from my mouth, yet Klaus picks them up as he collides his lips against mine.