Making Amends

Angered voices echo down the hall. I roll my eyes when Klaus's stands out above the other. What now? Heading toward the living room, I listen further to hear Marcel and Klaus fighting. Clutched in Marcel's hand when I enter the room is a flask. Ever since Davina died, he's been down. Who can blame him though? That girl was a radiant light in the midst of the darkness of vampires, witches, and werewolves. Yes, I'm sad that I'll never get the answers I think she could have gave me, but mainly, I'm sad the girl died knowing nothing but destruction.

"I told you, I am not in the mood for vampire hijinks," Marcel mumbles.

"No. You'd rather sit wallowing in sorrow for your lost little friend," Klaus answers harshly. I pause inside the doorway right as Marcel stands, pointing a finger in Klaus's direction. Both men are too caught up in their argument to notice my presence.

"Don't push me right now," Marcel growls at him.

"I am sorry Davina is gone, okay? I'm sorry," Klaus yells in return. "But this mournful attitude is unworthy of you, and it's boring to me."

"Klaus." My voice is firm and causes the men to glance in my direction. Klaus blinks at me once before dropping his head slightly. I walk to his side, grabbing his hand with mine. At my squeeze of our hands, our eyes meet, and I beg him to calm down. He's never been good with comforting other people. I know all he wants is for Marcel to feel better again, to be happy again, but he and I both know that yelling at Marcel won't do the trick. There are better ways to go about things. Klaus shrugs, and I turn to Marcel.

Marcel watches me carefully, clearly noting Klaus's arguments dropping at my presence. Releasing Klaus's hand, I hug Marcel. Klaus scoffs behind me, but I ignore him as I squeeze Marcel tight. He returns my embrace, pressing his face against my shoulder. "I am sorry, Marcel. She was so young and so brilliant. You deserve time to grieve her." I feel Marcel pull away from our hug and I follow. Turning on my heel to look at Klaus, I raise a brow. "I suppose you understand that Marcel may need some time to himself, yes?"

Klaus rolls his eyes at me, not offering a verbal response, but a harmless one.

"Good. Now, why don't-"

Suddenly Diego enters the room with urgency, leaving my words to die on my tongue as we turn to face him. He looks worried. "Hey, guys, we got a problem."

Diego leads us to the Cauldron, the witches' area of the Quarter. There, on the ground, within a large salt circle with a symbol, lays two of Marcel's vampires with runes engraved in their foreheads. I blink at the sight. Damn. "We came to mess with the witches, just like you said," Diego explains as we approach the site. I groan to myself. Messing with the witches? Really? "And these two, they went missing. Found them like this, not even staked. Just dead." Now at the edge of the circle, I can see the gray veins covering their faces.

We all stare at the site, taking it in. I can feel the vampire posse behind me shift in nervousness. However, I continue staring at the symbol carved into their foreheads. Something about it...something seems familiar. Abruptly, Marcel turns from my side and walks away. Klaus reacts to this, looking to him. "Where are you going? Someone has to account for this!"

I glance over my shoulder to see Marcel turn, looking back at Klaus. "You want revenge, get it yourself." Then, Marcel points to the scene behind us, addressing the crowd of vampires who followed us here. "That mark is tied to some bad mojo. Any of y'all got any brains, you'll head back to the Compound and stay the hell out of this." Marcel walks away. The other vampires look to Klaus for leadership.