Drunken Sorrows

With his hands under my arms, Nate lifts me up until I'm back on my feet. As soon as I feel stable enough to stand on my own, he lets go. Spinning around, I come face to face with Nate for the first time in years. Our eyes lock and my breath hitches. He seems to do the same as he freezes in front of me. My eyes dance over his features, taking them in. It's been so long since I've seen him last. He's kept his light brunette hair short. His skin is tanner then I last saw it, and there's a small sprinkling of freckles across his nose and cheeks. As I assess his appearance, a navy blue dress shirt and black slacks, his dark green eyes seem to do the same to me. His gaze travels down the length of my body before our eyes lock again.

"Lily," he says, almost a whisper compared to the noise around us.

Guilt rises up in my throat as dread swirls in my stomach. "Nate." The tension between us is palpable, and normally I would find a way to be cool about it, but not tonight. Not tonight when I've had so much to drink, so instead, another round of giggles breaks from my chest. Jess catches onto them, clasping my shoulder as she leans against me and faces our newcomer.

"Nathaniel! Don't you look spiffy," she exclaims, smiling widely at him. "Are you here to party too?" Her voice raises an octave as she starts to bust out moves to the new song. Anna and Viv giggle behind her, following suit. Biting my lip, I release one last giggle and join them. Jess offers me her hand and we begin to spin together.

"No, Jess," Nate answers her, though she's clearly preoccupied. "I came to assist Will and Oliver in getting you four out of the club."

Nate's words has us all freezing instantly.

"What?" Anna looks to Will with a frown. Viv, Jess, and I echo her.

"We don't want to leave."

"Why? We're having fun."

"I wanna stay though."

The men step together around us, a united front, as they cross their arms to look upon us. Will raises a brow. "Fine, you want to stay, answer me this: what color are Anna's eyes?"

The four of us frown at his question. "Anna's eyes?" Viv echoes, worrying her lip. We all look at Anna, tilting our heads in confusion. Anna pouts at our stares before an excited look takes over her features.

"Bananas!" Anna yells and Jess nods excitedly.

"Yeah, they're apples," I echo. "They're oranges and mangos," I tell him. "They're like a blueberry. Maybe we'll all blueberries, and then we'll go to a blueberry farm. I like blueberries." With a grin, I start to spin again. Jess cackles at my answer and starts to spin with me, yet before Anna and Viv can join us, Will stops them.

"Ladies, I'm afraid you failed the question." Anna and Viv grumble, as Will throws an arm around Anna's waist. "Baby," he tells her. "I really do think you should get some sleep. Otherwise, you'll feel awful tomorrow."

Anna's eyes widen. "Awful," she repeats. "I don't want to feel awful."

"Then, how about we get you to bed?" Anna reluctantly nods as she turns to give Viv a defeated stare. Viv sighs, but nods. Then, the men turn to us.

"Lily, Jess, it's time to go," Oliver tells us, acting as if we were children. And maybe we are, because we both pout at him.

"No, one more dance. One more dance, and one more drink," Jess whines.

"Yeah, they haven't even played my favorite music."

Nate sends me a look, "And what's you favorite music, Lils?"