Four Days

A strangled voice in the night has me sitting up in bed. Sleep clouds my eyes as I look around the dark room, trying to gauge the situation. At that moment, Klaus calls out beside me. "Lily." His voice is frantic, his breaths hasty as he twitches next to me. The moonlight that slips between our curtains reflects the tiny beads of sweat upon his brow. His eyes flick around rapidly behind their closed lids, his face creased in pain.

"Lily!" This time he screams my name, thrashing side to side.

He's dreaming, my sleep-fogged brain realizes.

"Lily, don't leave. Please. Please!"

No, he's not dreaming...he's having a nightmare. Turning, I reach for him. He fights against me, his breaths growing harsher. "Don't leave me. Don't leave me," he mumbles, his words full of anguish. I push his arms to his sides as I hover over him.

"Nik," I say, pressing a hand to his shoulder. "Nik, it's all okay. You're just dreaming. Nik." I rub a hand across his chest, trying to soothe away his panic. Shifting closer to him, I ease my weight onto him and hold his face between my hands. "Nik." My thumb rubs along his cheekbone as I feel him start to relax under me. "It's just a bad dream, my love. It's all okay." I continue to whisper assurances to him as he calms down. His breath eventually evens out, and the concerned wrinkles in his face smooth. My fingers continue to brush along his cheek. "That's it, handsome. Go back to sleep. Everything is okay."

I wish I could say this was the first time I've done this since returning to Klaus, but it's not. For the last few weeks, he's had on and off nightmares about me being ripped away from him in all horrifying manners. I hate that this is happening to him. I hate that in his dreams he lives with the fear of me being gone forever. I hate it. But I don't know what to do...I don't know how to fix it.

So, instead, I lay my head upon his chest, and curl my arms around his frame. I hold him tight as he sleeps, hoping to keep him relaxed until morning. Each time he gets worked up, I'm there with soothing words and a gentle touch. If only that was enough.

...

Stepping into the living room, Elijah is quick to pass me a glass of bourbon. I take it with a nod before slumping down into a chair. Elijah sits across from me on the couch and watches me. With a raised brow, he asks a silent question. I confirm it with a glance.

Another nightmare.

Elijah sighs deeply, leaning back against the couch as I sip my drink. My eyes are tired, and I can actually feel the bags forming underneath them. Last night was easy compared to some of the other times Klaus has had a nightmare, but that doesn't ease its severity. My heart still aches in pain for the man I love, and I'm starting to grow nervous, wondering if these nightmares will ever stop.

Downing the rest of my drink, I set it on the side table before curling up in the chair. Elijah smiles at me pityingly. With a long breath, I shake my head. "I don't know what to do, Elijah. I've tried so many things, but I'm still failing him. I-I don't know how to help him."

Elijah echoes my long breath, considering my words as his eyes focus to the side of me. "I believe you are helping, Lily. It's just going to take time. My brother was utterly wrecked at your passing. His mourning..." Elijah trails off unable to describe what a terrible state Klaus was in after my death. But he doesn't have to say it, I already know. "It was bad," Elijah concludes. "And I think it will take time for him to fully adjust to your returned presence. Although you both may wish for things to go back to how they were, I think my brother needs time to process. Klaus was still fragile when you arrived back to us, though he is happy about it, your return is still a change. We need time to process change."