32. Trentadue

On Christmas evening, I was compelled to make an appearance at my father's Christmas party

On Christmas evening, I was compelled to make an appearance at my father's Christmas party. Show my face like the obedient son I am. I nodded in acknowledgement to some of our men. With Isabella out of the way living in London, I only had to throw a simple angry look to shoo the girls away.

Crossing the hall I reached the small circle gathered around my father. I mentally slapped my forehead as he had already begun to pretend like he was drunk. Taking a champagne flute from the waiter passing by, I lean on the pillar and watch the asshole's one-man show where he pretends to be out of his wits. Like he had let his guard down only to pounce later on the ones who had tried to deceive him somehow.

Done with the visual torture I join my father and his band of thugs.

"I heard about Amato's death. He had been handling everything very smoothly for years now. How will you fill his place?" Mr. Fuller asked with hopes to lap up the spilt milk after Amato.

"We're not looking for another version of him, Mr. Fuller. He was stealing from us. He paid for it." I drawl, taking another drink. Mr. Fuller gulped in fear. Others visibly flinched at my tone.

"Excuse us." father barked at them, I swirled the drink as they all scurried out. "You don't go around telling people that we are being fooled by some bony man." He hissed at him, looking at me in pure unhinged anger.

"Just engraving the fear of the famiglia in them, father. Lately, A lot of them are beginning to forget where they belong." I answered, my head tilting to the side, looking at the men flocking in a group in the farthest corner of the mansion. They had a hard time after dealing with the cleanup in the conference room, scrubbing the rugs from the blotches of blood, spattered out of the sheets. Now they attend a meeting in a different room assigned to the lower management.

My father's lips curled in disgust, before he could speak further or crush my windpipe mom intervened.

"Oh, Gian. Merry Christmas." She said in a voice she reserves for her party friends.

"Merry Christmas, mamma." I said kissing her cheeks. Mamma's smile fell, watching the scowl on father's face. "I am sorry, Alessandro. Am I interrupting something?" She asked ruefully, worry marring on her face.

"Get him out of my sight." father said gruffly.

Mamma pushed me towards her library, smiling at her guests on the way. As soon as the doors closed, she pulled me into a hug.

"Merry Christmas, my piccolo." She chirped, pinching my cheeks.

"Stop it, mamma." I chide, prying her hands away from my face. "That was really good. Thanks for saving me." I say, pulling her gift out of my chest pocket. A diamond bracelet with stones, blue like her eyes. I secured it around her wrist kissing her knuckles.

"Thank you, piccolo, and apart from this suit.." She gestured lightly dusting my black suit. "I got something for Zara." She whispered her name, opening the box of sapphire stone dangling from the shiny gold chain.