Two can keep a secret...

"Are you trying to run Catina?"

I jumped in shock.

I turned around, searching the room quickly for the one, who was with me. The male person emerged from a dark corner of my living room area and stepped closer.

Black hair shimmered in the dimmed light and Ezra Hellion looked at me with a face I could not quite read.

"Me?", I said and laughed sarcastically, "Actually yes, but I would like to have my weapons back for that."

Ezra smiled: "Hmm, I'm sure you do. But the boss said I should take them back with me to the armory after this, with some piece of evidence for your death. You can still decide which toe I should bring him."

I rolled my eyes grabbing the strap of my backpack tighter.

I should have known it would be Ezra. He was new and he wouldn't ask too many questions out of attachment. Besides, he still needed to earn Death's trust. And how could that work better than with killing a former Reaper?

I needed to do something, keep him talking, because he already glanced over to the wooden block with knifes, I kept on my kitchen counter. He was so going to murder me, but I still asked.

"So, what are you going to do with me now? I am not old, I am not suicidal, I am not sick", I said and tried to start the conversation, buying me time to think.

Ezra nodded. "You aren't anything of all this, but you can still be involved in an accident. Or a murder, both belongs to Accident's kind of work."

"But how exactly are you going to do it?", I asked and Ezra pulled out his dagger, that was actually used for cutting the thread of life after a death through disease.

"No human will be able to see the cuts. They will think it was something internal, a inner bleeding or a heart attack, you can choose. But yes, I will have to stab you", Ezra warned and I could actually see that he was not too pleased by that, by the look in his blue eyes.

I furrowed my brows at that. He looked at me and I could see how he struggled to move.

Was he, after all, questioning what he was about to do?

"What's on your mind?", I asked directly and the young man blinked. "Sorry?"

"Something is bothering you. Don't deny it, I can see that it is", I said and he sighed.

"You see, I am new and I heard stuff", he confessed, "I know that you were a favorite of the boss and you were on the team for almost eighthundred years now. Eighthundred years is a long time. And now, suddenly, when I still saw you a few hours ago in front of his office, I still felt like everything was going as usual. I don't want you to get into even more trouble, but I just want to know why the boss decided to have you killed in a matter of hours."

Ezra was honest, I could sense that. I didn't want to get him into trouble, that was the truth, but I also decided to save the Reapers from losing their immortality.

"Okay, I can understand if you don't believe what I'm going to tell you, but it's the truth", I said. Ezra leaned onto my kitchen table with one hip while listening.

I told him the whole story, I didn't care about Death being mad, he already was. I spilled the tea on Death Day and what was going to happen with the Givers and the humans, but especially the Reapers.

I walked small circles on my kitchen floor while talking and I could feel Ezra watching me carefully.

"And that is basically why our boss is mad at me and wants me to die. And why I am now stuck in humanity", I finished my monologue after I had explained the situation to the handsome dark haired Reaper.