Chapter 7: What's for Dinner?

Mason's POV

After Chris speeding a little bit making it home just before 7:00 mom had called saying they weren't going to be able to come home until tomorrow because of weather. After the call had ended, I ran upstairs and made a beeline for the shower grabbing a pair of grey sweats and boxers from my room first. I slipped into the bathroom just before Xavier and locked the door while Xavier pounded the door in frustration.

Haha sucker. 

I turned on the shower and pulled off my nasty sweaty clothes throwing them in the hamper before hopping into the cool shower and cleaning (with soap) every nook and cranny than shampooing my hair making me smell like pine woods and mint.

I shut off the water completely rinsing off the soap suds and drying off hopping out of the shower before pulling on my red and black plaid boxers on. I slipped on my grey sweat pants and pulled on a white t shirt. I dried my brown hair leaving it in a messy style. I folded up my towel than walked out of the bathroom just before Hunter got in.

See the only problem with this house is it has a lot of rooms, just not enough bathrooms. I walk into my room and grab my iPhone, that was laying on my desk, slipping it into my pocket before I head back downstairs to see Janetta in the kitchen making something that smells delicious.

"What'cha doin'?" I ask opening up the fridge grabbing a can of soda.

"Making taco salads." Janetta replies pouring taco seasoning into the hot frying pan full of ground beef. Than opening up the fridge getting out lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, onions and tortillas.

"That sounds delicious! Can I help?" I say and opening up the cheese ziplock container.

"Sure, can you shred that cheese." Janetta says pointing to the cheese container. I reach under the counter and pull out our kitchen aid mixer than grab the shredder attachable piece and securing it too the mixer. I place the cheese in the shredder and grab a glass bowl for the shredded cheese placing it underneath the shredder. I switch it on and the cheese is now falling into the bowl making a small mess on the granite counter. Janetta looks at me than the mess than back at me before shaking her head and getting back to dicing the tomato.

"Ok, done!" I say proud of my work and puffing my chest for extra measure.

"I can see that. Now put them in the fridge and can you please put the tortillas in the molds putting them in the oven at 150." She says and pointing to the box on the edge of the counter than the oven.

"Sure." I put the bowl of cheese in the fridge and than open the box full of tortilla molds stuffing the tortilla in the molds than sliding 20 of them in the oven setting it at 150 like Janetta asked. I stood back up and looked at Janetta for my next set of commands. She continued slurping up all the grease with the meat baster and squirting it into a separate plastic bowl. After she finished she chopped up the onions and cut the lettuce making her way around the kitchen checking things, cleaning knives, clearing off cutting boards full of ingredients into glass bowls. She finally stopped and looked at me with a smile.

Damn that smile.

"Yeah, next, could you set the table, the plates ar-"

"I know where the plates are Janetta, I've lived here all my life." I focus again and cut in and spun around grabbing 16 plates and setting them gracefully on their appropriate place mat.

"Well, no need for sass." She replied and pulled out the tortilla molds with the now crispy tortillas molded like a bowl.

"But it's my sass." I say with a wink