20⏐dark shadows

"Let's create a few rules," the woman says, her auburn hair pulled into a delicate bun. "One, no disobeying. Two, no trying to escape because this, my child, is your new home!" 

I flinch away from her. This woman is scaring me, despite her reassurances of being my mother. I don't want my mother to be a scary lady with auburn hair and sharp red nails and blue eyes that seem to pierce into my soul. 

I want my old mother, who has dark hair and brown eyes and a warm smile. I don't care if she was just my temporary guardian - anyone is better than the lady in front of me. 

"Oh sweetie," the woman purrs. "Aren't you such an adorable child? You don't have to look so scared!" 

"You're- you're holding her captive," I blurt. "How can I not be scared?" 

The smile disappears on her face, and I know I've said the wrong thing. "Stupid child," she sighs. "I'm just using her as insurance. If you obey me, I can let her go. You want to help your friend, yes?" 

I slowly nod. "Then obey me," the woman says, eyes flashing. 

"So according to this device thing, William should still be in the throne room!" Jonah says cheerfully. "I mean, I'd think he would have moved around, to try and find where we are - but maybe his tactic is for us to come to him! Or maybe he's just trying to get on the prince's good side." 

"Yeah," I say distractedly. "Okay." 

"So let's just try-" 

The door swings open, and Jonah lets out a swear, slamming me to the ground. "What the hell are you doing?" I blurt, pain turning my vision dark. 

An arrow whistles through the air and stabs at the wall. 

"Well, well, well." William looms over us, a glint in his dark eyes. "Am I interrupting anything here?" 

I look up at Jonah, who's arm is wrapped protectively around my waist. "Oh God, I'm so sorry," Jonah sputters, letting go of me. "I swear, we weren't doing anything." 

William blushes. "Um, okay? I'm really sorry if you guys were dating and that I interrupted..." He waves his hand around. "... whatever was happening there." 

"It's okay," Jonah says, looking awkwardly around. "Um..." 

"Oh, wait," William laughs, striding forward and taking his arrow from the wall. "I'm supposed to kill you guys." 

Jonah grabs my hand, raising me up. "We're supposed to kill you too," he says confidentially. "So um, fear us!" 

I sigh, before grabbing a dagger. "Yeah," I say. "We're gonna kill you so you better run, buddy."