04⏐ocean blue

Eight years ago: 

"You're so ridiculous!" I say, jostling at my best friend's dark hair. "And besides, you never beat me in a game. What makes you think you can now?" 

Jay-Jay glowers, his chocolate eyes narrowed. "Stop acting so smug," he grumbles. "I will beat you one day, Lena." 

I flip at my black hair. "Keep telling yourself that," I say smugly. "We both know that-" 

He grabs my arm, flipping me to the ground. My lips part as I start to protest. "You cheated, you little cheater!" I shout, before locking his legs, causing him to stumble. 

The situation is flipped now: me on top of him, and Jay-Jay on the ground. "What did I tell you?" I whisper tauntingly. "You will never ever beat me." 

Frustration colors his face, but before he can say anything- 

Someone grabs my body and I shriek, twisting around. "Lena!" Jay-Jay blurts in horror. "Let her go!" 

"Get off!" I scream, trying to punch the person holding me. "Argh, I'll kill you!" 

"Threats don't work on me, little girl," a voice coos in my ear. 

"Who are you?" my friend demands. "What are you doing with Lena?" 

My vision goes blurry. Then dark. And then everything was gone. 

When I woke up, Jay-Jay disappeared, and I was by myself. A few days later, I learned that my best friend was the long-lost son of the king.