House arrest.

Washington pulled Alexander out of school for the day. Martha also made sure she could stay home all day so that he wouldn't be alone. The police said they had a general idea of where Ben and Nate were, but they hadn't quite found them yet. They just wanted to make sure Alexander was safe until then. He hadn't really said anything after his conversation with Washington the night prior. He tried to lock up his emotions and guilt so he didn't have to think about it anymore.

"Morning sweetheart." Martha greeted him. "How'd you sleep?"

"Meh, did they leave without me?" Alexander asked.

"Yes, George called and let the school know that you weren't going to be there today." Martha explained.

"Why not?" Alexander questioned.

"Umm, did you forget that you yourself said your friends are trying to kill you?" Martha laughed.

"So? I can take care of myself." Alexander scoffed.

"Alexander. I know you want to be independent, but you're still a kid." Martha informed him.

"I'm not a kid. I lost that privilege when I was twelve." Alexander mumbled as he sat down at the kitchen table. "Everywhere I go, people are forcing me to grow up. Some don't even treat me like I'm a person anymore."

"Not anymore. You're in a good home now, I promise." Martha rubbed his back. "We love you as if you were our own kid. And we do the same with Laf."

"We'll see how long that lasts." Alexander whispered to himself.

"You hungry?" She asked.

"I guess I could eat." Alexander replied.

Martha began cooking some breakfast. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"About what?" Alexander said, knowing full well what she was referring to.

"Your friend. You said that your friends killed each other."

"Not each other. Nate and Ben murdered him." Alexander stated. "Danny didn't do anything. He stood up for me and they killed him."

"You can't blame yourself. Even if you feel like this was your fault, Danny was still the one who made the choice." Martha explained. "And I'm sure he didn't regret it."

"I don't blame Danny. I blame them. They killed him, his blood is on their hands." Alexander said. "And partly on mine." He whispered that last part.

"I'm sure when the police find these young men that they will be locked up for a very long time. Maybe even for life."

"I hope so, they deserve it." Alexander whimpered.

"I know sweetie..." Martha tried to calm him down.

"Don't call me that!" Alexander snapped at her. He immediately regretted it. "I'm sorry, Mrs. Washington."

"It's ok, I know you're upset. And you don't have to call me Mrs. Washington. You know that, Alex." Martha said.

"I do that whenever I lose my temper. Some of my other foster parents would've hit me just for snapping at them." Alexander answered. "I just need some space." He stood up and walked back upstairs.

"I'll just bring your breakfast up to your room!" Martha yelled up to him.

"Ok." Alex sighed. He went upstairs and crashed on his pillow. Falling asleep a few minutes later.

"What's wrong with you?" A man asked.

"I-It's raining really hard." Thirteen year old Alexander whimpered.