Day 1.

Alexander unpacked the few items he had. He never carried very much, not after the hurricane. He didn't get attached to things. It made it easier when he lost them. It happened eventually to everything he owned.
He went downstairs for dinner as Washington had told him earlier. He saw the table with more food than he had seen in months. Alexander hurried over to the table. When everyone else began, he ate like a crazy person. The family noticed and looked at him.

"What?" Alexander stated.

"Nothing." Washington laughed. "Eat up."

Alexander shoved everything within reach inside of his mouth. Washington couldn't help but wonder if he had been properly fed at his last home. He decided to wait until after dinner to talk to him about it.

"Alexander?" He began. "Can you come see me in my study?"

"Ooo, study? This place fancy ain't it." Alexander joked sarcastically. Washington looked at him, trying to get him to be serious. "Fine, where is it?"

"Follow me." Washington led the boy to his study. The room was big, with a large desk in the center and many book shelves lined the walls. Alexander laid down on the sofa in the middle of the room.

"So?" Alexander tilted his head sarcastically.

"Would you be comfortable telling me what happened at your last home?" Washington asked.

"Why? So you can send me back on day one?" Alexander stated. His face changed from a sarcastic look to an upset and frustrated one.

"No, I just would like to know."

"I went to school, came home, did my homework, had dinner, had quality family time then went to bed. Every day was the same." Alexander said as if he was reciting a speech he had given multiple times before.

"I don't buy that." Washington replied.

"Heh, you'd be the first." Alexander chuckled. "It's all bull..."

"LANGUAGE!" Lafayette shouted from the hall.

"If he were to end up in an alley dumpster? I'll save you some time. It was me." Alexander stated blankly.

"Tell me what actually went on. Maybe without the little sarcastic remarks this time." Washington spoke sweetly to calm his new foster son.

"It was awful." Alexander mumbled.

Washington went over and sat down by him. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Alexander rolled up his jacket to reveal even more bruises and marks on his arms. "I think that says it all."

Washington gasped. "What! Why did they do this to you?"

"Their son was arrested for driving under influence." Alexander teared up a little. But tried not to show it. "I smarted off and told them it was his fault for getting drunk. The man got mad and hit me over and over again."

"And the dinner?" Washington was referring to what just happened a few minutes ago.

"They didn't feed me for like three days straight. I only got food from my friend at school." Alexander sighed.

Washington tried to wrap his arms around the boy, but he pushed them away. "It's ok, you're safe now, son."

"Don't call me son!" Alexander snapped and went upstairs.

Washington talked to Martha about their conversation. She almost started crying.

"How could anyone hit a child?" She whimpered.