Therapy!

Washington had scheduled therapy sessions for Alexander. Lafayette used to go to therapy when he first came to live with them. The man who helped Lafayette was Dr. Reynolds, and Alexander would be seeing him now as well. Alexander was not happy. 

"I don't need a shrink! I'm not insane!" He yelled while in the car.

"I never said you were. But this man can help you with your..." Washington began before he was interrupted.

"Don't say issues!" Alexander spat. "Why can't you just give me a temporary home like every other foster family I've had? Then when I turn 18 I will be out of this living nightmare." He mumbled the last part.

"Alexander, we're not like the other families you've been with. We actually care about your well-being. We want to take care of you." Washington said with sympathy.

Alexander didn't say anything. He just lowered his head. Neither of them said another word until they arrived.

"Come on. We're here." Washington stated, trying to cheer Alexander up.

Alexander trudged his feet along and went inside the building. He hated this place from the moment he stepped inside. The pediatric therapy building looked like a stereotypical children's hospital.

"Go take a seat, I'll be over in a second." Washington said.

"Give me one reason why I shouldn't bolt out of here right now!" Alexander mumbled.

"Please, Alexander. Just give it a chance." Washington put a hand on his shoulder gently, but still firm enough in case he ran.

Alexander sigher, then nodded his head. He took a seat in one of the plastic chairs and waited for Washington to come back. George went and talked to the woman at the front desk. Alexander didn't hear what they were saying, he was too busy with his thoughts. He checked his phone and saw he had a new message from Ben.

Ben☠: where are you?
TalkingPipsqueak🗣: Ugh, take a guess.
Ben☠: Locked in a basement?
TalkingPipsqueak🗣: Worse. This guy is making me go to therapy. What's gonna happen?
Ben☠: well, I had a family that made me go to therapy. When it did nothing, they sent me off anyway. To be fair, they weren't willing to pay for a good therapist in the first place. It is expensive.
TalkingPipsqueak🗣: great. At least he has to spend his money. Not that a guy like him doesn't have a ton to spare.
Ben☠: Sucks to be you I guess. Bye.

Washington came and sat down by Alexander. Alexander was clearly nervous. He was being forced to spill his life story out to a stranger. And some how that was supposed to help him?

"Alexander Hamilton?" A woman called.

Alexander glared over at her, then at Washington. George nodded and Alexander got up and followed the woman into a room. It was a decent sized area. It had a couch and two armchairs. A table and a couple of little chairs. A bookshelf with toys on the bottom shelves and books on the top ones. Alex hated it.

He saw a man enter.

"Hello. I'm Dr. Reynolds, what's your name?" The man smiled.

"Mr. Hamilton." Alexander deadpanned.

"No first name?"

"You didn't give me yours."

*sigh* "Ok then." Reynolds stated and sat down. "My first name is Robert."
(I looked and could not find literally any information about James Reynolds other then the Reynolds affair, so I totally just made that name up. If you can find James Reynolds' father's name, let me know.) Edit A/N: Wait, did I mention his first name in bad things happen? Gosh I hope not!

Alexander just stared at him. Reynolds took out a notebook and wrote something down. "Can you tell me your first name now that you know mine?"

"I never asked you to tell me yours." Alexander stated, making direct eye contact. "Besides, we both know you already have it written down somewhere so why do you care?"

"I want you to trust me. I know your name is your identity, it's what makes you who you are. But I promise you can trust me."

"Heh, I've heard that one before." Alexander mumbled to himself, Reynolds still heard it and continued writing notes.

"Can you tell me why you don't trust me?"

"Don't take it personally, I don't trust anyone."

"Why not?"

"It makes it easier when they let me down." Alexander said.

"I won't let you down. I promise."

"Promises don't mean anything to me anymore."

Reynolds thought for a moment. How was he to do this?

"Why don't you tell me about some of your other foster homes?"

"They sucked! Ok?" Alexander rolled his eyes. "No one treats me like I'm a person."

"I understand completely. I've worked with several foster kids, including Lafayette." Reynolds explained. "Tell me more."

"I don't want to. You'll just get my hopes up. Then it will be even more painful when I get sent away. Do you want me to have to suffer?" Alexander questioned.

"You won't suffer."

"Heh! Yeah I will. You think the Washingtons are the first people to tell me that we were gonna be a family? They're not even the fourth!" Alexander ranted. "But it only ever lasts a few months."

"You've been living with them for a little while now." Reynolds asked. "Have they shown any sign of wanting to get rid of you?"

"Nobody ever shows a sign. When I was thirteen, I had a family tell me I was gonna go on a vacation. The next day my social worker showed up and took me away!"

"What happened after that?" Reynolds tried to trick him into telling him about his foster life.

"I'm not stupid, I know what you're doing. I said I didn't want to talk about it!" Alexander got mad.

"I'll make a deal with you. You tell me one story and we can just kill the rest of the time playing a board game or something."

"I'm fifteen not five."

"Come on." Reynolds begged.

"Fine. Would you like tragic or depressing?"

"Just a story that you think effects you. One that you need to get off your chest." Reynolds replied.

"How about me watching my mother die, or maybe me watching my brother die, my cousin committing suicide while I was in the house and him trying to convince me to join him, my father abandoning me, or maybe me almost dying in a hurricane? Yeah, and none of that even includes the foster system." Alexander responded.

Reynolds' jaw dropped. This kid had been through more than any other foster kid he had seen. No wonder he acted the way he did.

"How did your mother die?"

"She and I got sick. My brother tried to take care of us, but it got so bad we had to be hospitalized. We didn't have much money, so every treatment they offered, she gave to me. Cause we could only afford for one of us to be treated." Alexander explained. "I got better...." He paused. ".....she didn't."

"I'm very sorry. And I hope you know that wasn't your fault." Reynolds began. Alexander didn't respond, so he changed the topic. "What happened to your brother?"

"Nope! You wanted one story, and you got one story." Alex reached over to the bookshelf and pulled out a deck of cards. "You play poker?"

"Fine. But no bets. I can't take a fifteen year old's allowance." Reynolds said. "You can tell me about your brother next time."

"Ha! Funny, you think you would win... Wait what?" Alexander turned to look up at him. "What do you mean next time?"

"George set up multiple sessions for you."

Alexander face planted onto the couch and screamed into a pillow.

Reynolds couldn't help but laugh a little. "Come on! Let's just run out the clock."

Alexander sat up and nodded.