Prologue: Reincarnation.

Start from the beginning

The girl replied, "I... don't... like... okaa-san... and her... customers."

"Customers?"

"Mn." The girl answered she went quiet after that and became a little more isolated. The professor felt something was wrong so she called child services for help. It turns out the mother runs a prostitution business and was just using her money for pleasure that she left the girl to survive on her own and their house wasn't looking great either.

The girl was now an orphan and the professor decided to adopt the girl.

The girl's mother didn't care, in fact she was happy having that girl out of her life.

The girl, only twelve, didn't know simple things like gestures. Genuine feelings. Face expressions. Voice tones.

The professor was even wondering if she adopted a robot instead. The professor was not a patient person, she used vulgar words, she was logical, she was rude and straightforward. However, she was one of the best professors and researchers there is.

The professor taught her everything she needed, taught her how to read and write. Solve complicated math problems and gave her every book she had.

The girl infested with books didn't realize she was a born genius. At fifteen she read the whole public library. The librarians actually knew the girl quite well and was very fond of her.

She wrote dozens of research papers, theories and beliefs. She was offered a lot of scholarships in many schools. Including a sports scholarship because the professor also taught her how to fight.

She excelled in almost everything except for social conduct. In short, making friends. She wasn't good at it so she didn't bother making any.

The girl thought highly of the professor as her role model in life.

The two of them actually got along very well but the girl suddenly fell ill.

She couldn't move her body the way she could before. She couldn't think straight and felt weak. She was sick and there was no cure. She was a false hope. The professor tried everything for the girl to be well and the girl appreciated it wishing that she was her real mother instead.

The professor fought with the hospital staff where she was confined.

She wasn't allowed to leave the room of the hospital or in any case even roam around inside is forbidden.

The professor was heartbroken and always stayed by the girl's side. She always saw her as more than the child she saved from the slums but something like her daughter.

"Professor. Did you know some butterflies can live for only a day? Others might only have weeks and months but they still live their lives being free roaming wherever they want." The girl said looking outside at a window staring bitterly at a purple butterfly gently fluttering its wings as it landed into a nearby flower. She smiles faintly as if comparing herself to that butterfly.

She also has no time to live long it seems.

"Listen, I don't want to hear about death and that other crap. You'll be fine. Stop with the death talk or I'll make you." The professor tiringly pushed her glasses back and crossed her arms.

"You are going to be fine. You're going to live. You're not dying because of some illness, you'll die out of old age and live happily giving me the grandkids I want." The professor angrily shouted at the girl but the girl only smiled at the professor.