Bodygaurd

The woman in front of me wore dark pants and some kind of upper garment that looked similar to a shirt, with a hilt of a sword behind her back supported by a leather strap which ended by her waist.

"Well then I'll leave you to it." Christian stood up slapping the back of Aiden's head. "Let's go. We have work to do."

"Fine." Aiden grunts rolling his eyes but still pauses to give me a wink. "Have fun little girl."

I look between them and then at the demoness growing more confused and concerned.

Who is this lady and why are they leaving me with her?

The demoness didn't address me until after the two men left. She turned back her bright eyes glinting, her blank expression didn't change when she noticed my anxiousness.

"Pardon me for not introducing myself Princess." She placed a palm on her chest giving me another small bow at which I flinched.

I didn't like the overwhelming amount of courtesies I was receiving.

"My name is Merida of Evestel your highness. I'm the demoness of wind and fire and I have been assigned by the king as your personal guard." The woman explained.

"My guard?" I repeated flabbergasted.

This just keeps getting better and better.

"That's right," Merida answered. "As his highness's sister you are at all times to be guarded against potential danger within or without the palace walls."

"Danger from what?" I asked confused.

Merida looks back at the door probably checking for prying ears before turning back to me.

"Surely your majesty is aware of your eldest brother's position as king right?"

Oh.

My eyes widen as everything finally clicks.

"Are there people who wish to harm me?" I whispered understanding the meaning behind her words.

"With power comes envy and other dangers." Merida chuckles darkly. "And your brother is well aware of that hence the reason why he brought you back and assigned me as your guard."

I bit the insides of my cheeks trying to piece everything together but there were too many missing portions.

However, the real question roaming in the back of my mind was what happened six years ago?

"You have to be constantly aware of the company that surrounds you at all times," Merida continues grimly. "There are several backstabbers out there. Ones who will do anything to get the throne."

I swallow listening to the wind chime jingle to the gentle breeze blowing through the open balcony.

So this is why I'm here.

"Princes-"

"Call me by my name." I interrupted her and hastily added, "Please. I don't like being called princess or your highness."

"But your-" Merida paused when she noticed my severe stare. "Very well then. I shall call you lady Helen."

"I-" My attempt to protest died back down in my throat when Merida firmly shook her head, the fiery red curls gently bobbing with the movement. 

"Lady Helen it isn't appropriate for me to call a noblewoman of your ranking by her name." Merida asserted her tone final and I groaned lowly under my breath. "It is for your own good that I suggest you do not ask anyone else to do so either. People here tend to take advantage at the slightest show of weakness."