A weekends getaway

"Here, I got you some coffee." Viola held a steaming cup.

"Thanks," I muttered taking the cup from her and taking a sip. "I need that."

"Are you okay?" Viola asked her eyes leaving the road for a moment, her worried gaze settling on me.

I paused staring at the trees passing by before responding, "Yeah I'm great."

"Are you sure?" Viola kept glancing at me occasionally not convinced.

I was probably overreacting about this and even though my mind kept telling me something was off I still didn't want to ruin Viola's day because of it.

"Yes." I smiled confidently this time. "I'm sure."

Viola looked at me for another moment before shaking her head and focusing back on the road while I, on the other hand, to get my restless mind off the raven and cat, turned up the volume of the music and started humming away. Soon enough even Viola joined me nodding her head and tapping her hand against the steering wheel with the beat.

"This reminds me of our high-school days." Viola grinned as she looked at me and I chuckled returning her smile.

The car ride takes about an hour to reach my house but if you're in the car with your best friend, you don't even realize when the time flew by. Talking about random things, bickering back and forth, singing to our heart's content with disharmonious voices that drowned in occasional laughter.

I stared at the passing lake, fascinated as always when various birds of different colors flew overhead in shaped formations, a few stooping low with their talons stretched to catch some breakfast.

I still remember going to this lake for fishing with my dad. He never really had the money back then to take me to expensive restaurants or fancy parks but he still gave me wonderful memories to remember.

My life wasn't perfect. I wasn't the wealthiest girl in town who could have anything she wanted. My adoptive parents however did cater to my every need to the best of their ability and that was enough.

Yet one thought still continued to bother me.

One that I would never admit to anyone.

My life wasn't complete. There were many pieces that were still missing from it.

Pieces that I might never be able to find but that's how it works.

Life may take away things from you but sometimes it gives you something better in return.

I always wanted to know my real family and why I was left wandering around a forest alone. Had they lost me? Or was I abandoned?

But the truth is that I might never have my answers because I never had the memory or hint to search for them and no one ever tried to reach out and claim me.

Maybe I wasn't wanted.

I looked out at the blue sky snuggling my head against my shoulder as I lean back into the softness of the car seat.

The thought saddens me at times but I've learned to not dwell on them because instead life gave me new and amazing parents and an extraordinary and reliable best friend.

Life gave me something better.

The thing is that if you keep complaining about the bad things in life you tend to miss out on all the good ones and I for one didn't want that.

I was happy with what I had and I was grateful for it.

"We're here."

I moved away from the window as Viola pulled into the drive-through of a charming cottage. Just looking at my home made me smile and forget about all my troubles.

My mother didn't even wait for us to knock before the door flew open.

"Hey Aunty." Viola embraced my mother warmly pecking her cheeks before hugging my dad. Had it not been that she had her parents Viola would have been pretty much adopted right in but a certificate didn't matter to my parents. Viola had always been a daughter in their eyes and they spoiled her as they spoiled me.

"Hey mom." I pecked her cheeks gently before I kissed my dad's. "Its good to see you."

"You look thin to me Sage." My mother said as she held my face in her hands.

"Mom I'm fine." I responded rolling my eyes. "And I've been eating properly. You're just saying that because you haven't seen me in a while."

"And who's fault is that?" My mother huffed as she walked past me and bustled about in the kitchen. "You hardly come to visit anymore."

My dad shot me a knowing look from the other side as he patted my back to show me his usual silent support.

"Mom it was only last week that I couldn't come because of work," I groaned as I kept the bag of fruits Viola had bought.

"I told you not to apply to a far away university and move out."

And there it is. The real reason for scolding me for different justifications.

"I'm no longer a kid mother that I would attend college that's close to home." I hugged her from behind as she flipped the pancakes on the pan. "Besides I would have to move out at some point in time. I can't always live with you two."

My mother exhaled as she loaded the pancakes into the plates. "I just don't want to see you become one of those kids who move away, never come back and before you know it we've all become strangers."

I frown at the thought.

"I'm not going anywhere," I responded confidently squeezing her shoulders. "And even if I do nothing changes between us. I will always be your daughter and you will always be my mother. No one can replace you or dad."

My mother nodded eventually, pecking my cheeks.

"Well now that this is settled." My father rubbed his hands together greedily. "Let's just have some pancakes."

Viola eagerly took a place at the table right next to him nodding her head eagerly in agreement while my mom shook her head.

"Don't even think about it." My mother slapped my dad's hands when he tried reaching for the chocolate syrup. "You know sugar isn't good for your health.

My father grunted irritably in response but when my mother wasn't watching signaled Viola who nodded smiling slyly while I chuckled lowly under my breath.

These two will never change.

It was entertaining to watch Viola pass my father a little extra chocolate onto his pancake when my mother had her back turned. My dad ate the pancakes like his life depended on it and it mostly did.

I exhaled contently. This week had been hectic, full of work, stress and confusion but when I'm around these people I can relax and smile openly for once.

"Let's bake a cake today!" Viola suggested as soon as she gulped down the last bite of her pancake.

"Viola eat a little more first." My mother urged her in disapproval.

"I'm not hungry Miss Cohen and I haven't baked a cake with Sage since ages." Viola dismissed immediately getting out of her seat.

She dragged my still chewing father and me to the kitchen and I chuckled in amusement at her enthusiasm.

Between amused laughter, bickering about unsure measurements, snacking on cake batter, getting scolded by my mother and the sound of the spoon hitting the poreciline bowls I realized just how lucky I was to have such a simple yet good life.

Who would have known that in a matter of just a few hours this was all going to change?