The Floating Library

The Duchess's eyes moved from me to the two chains that seemed to be imprisoning me.

Her mischievous eyes turned amused.

"Well well." She got up and descended towards us with grace. "I had only heard rumours that the cold devils had thawed to a certain flower. Never imagined it would be true."

"You're looking too much into it Grandma." Aiden scoffed and my eyes widened at the disrespectful nickname.

Grandma?!

How could he call her that?

The Duchess didn't even remotely look that old.

"Am I?" Her sapphire blue eyes studied our linked hands with mild interest before focussing on my eldest brother.

Feeling flustered by her words I snatched my hands back from my brothers who didn't put up a fight this time.

"It's an honour to have you with us, your majesty." She bowed down in respect. "Alloria is yours."

"I might as well take it, Duchess Cassandra," Dominic muttered and though his expression was stoic his tone delivered nothing but irritation and disapproval.

"Let me guess." The Duchess said dryly as she straightened up. "Aster told you."

She shot the minister an annoyed glare before turning back.

Aster simply smiled to himself.

"How many times is this?" Dominic demanded with a raised brow.

"Is there even a number left anymore?" Aiden snorted attracting Duchess's glare.

"Might I remind the prince of his many such adventures in the past?" She said testily and Aiden turned slightly pale his eyes focusing on my curious face.

Don't know about him but I certainly wouldn't mind being reminded.

"Just zip it before you make a fool of yourself little brother." Christian chuckled to himself.

"No need to get worked up Grandma," Aiden grumbled with an eye roll. "I was only teasing. You may do whatever you please with your life."

Again?

I looked at Aiden in disbelief and the Duchess seemed to notice this.

"Take no notice of the nickname princess." She said smiling. "I suppose it's the right name to call me by."

I frowned in confusion hesitant to ask what she meant.

"The Duchess is older to us by several years," Christian explained to my relief. "And is more of a guiding figure when we were young hence Aiden doesn't find shame in calling her that."

"Ah," I said nodding my head at the new piece of information.

"What was your age again?" Aiden asked cheekily.

"You should never ask a lady for her age." The Duchess snapped. "Has Samuel taught you nothing?"

I snorted lowly to myself.

"Alright, that's enough." Dominic silenced the two of them. "Who was it this time?"

The Duchess's blue skin seemed to tinge a little as she avoided my brother's eye.

"He's the youngest son of Baron Gunther." She mumbled with a sigh. "He acted a little too smart about spending the night with me that's all but I assure you it's all been taken care of."

"Must I tell you to be careful about such things?" Dominic raised a brow and the Duchess smiled.

"Well a single and beautiful lady such as myself needs to do what she needs to do." She simply replied and Aiden snorted.