⫣1⫦ The Stranger In My Garden

And here she is: *drumroll noise*
The One.
The Only:
LIAN CHEOL.

(As you will soon see, she is based on the looks of IU, but feel free to imagine her any way you want. I literally just needed a model for all the chapter covers...)

Lian POV

I don't sleep well these days.

For some reason, I go to bed wide awake and then turn and toss all night, as if the day left me with too much energy.
Moving here was a shock, but my father just couldn't refuse the deal he got.

Lawyer in one of the top firms of Seoul.

But moving also meant a new start.

It meant I could get away from that horrible private girl school and convince my parents to let me go to a normal school- with the promise of working twice as hard of course.

In my entire life, I never disobeyed my parents.
But this once, I was adamant.
Wouldn't let them change my mind.

They already have this big plan for me to become a doctor and since I don't really know what else I want from life, I figured why not.
But at least they would have to allow me to experience real school experience.

The only passion I ever had were gymnastics anyway.

Still, I'm nervous about tomorrow- first day as the new girl.
Nervous and excited.

I need something new in my life.
I feel restless and pent up and every day, the feeling just grows.

I hope I can make some decent friends, maybe even get a best friend for the first time in my life.
I just couldn't bind with the girls from my last school.
They were all about fashion, boys, school and oh.. yeah school.

I make the nervousness responsible for my inability to got to sleep.

Frustrated I throw the covers away and get out of bed.

I don't turn the light on, afraid my parents might wake.
They don't like it when I'm out of my room after ten.

A bit strict maybe, but they only mean well.

Silently I make my way down to the front door.

The door clicks shut behind me and I breath in deeply, enjoying the warm summer night on my skin.
The air is a bit stuffier than I am used to, but this is Seoul after all.
Even in the rich quarters, the pollution is noticeable.

I stand there for a few minutes, looking at the clear sky with all its stars.

There are so many, all of them twinkling in the dark, like they're trying to challenge the darkness surrounding them.

I used to love looking at the stars.
They made me feel like life was full with choices and possibilities.

I sigh as a feeling grips my heart.

I don't know why, but since a few months, whenever I raise my head to the clear night sky, a heaviness fills me, like their light is no longer bearing promises but burdens.

Slowly I turn back to the door, fully intending to go back inside and try to sleep again, when I hear the rustling.

Curious, I look at the direction of the noise.

It seems to come from the little outdoor hut in the garden.
Maybe a cat or another animal hunting in the night.

I don't know what makes me.
I know I definitely shouldn't, but I suddenly feel myself walking towards the noise even though I know it's a bad idea.

The outside of the garden hut gleams in the silver moonlight as I near it.
There is no more sounds coming from it, but I open the door carefully anyway.