38. A Fast For Life

Start from the beginning

"Now listen to me carefully," she called for Annika's attention, "you are not to eat anything until the moon shows up in the sky. I know the first time is difficult. But you have to, otherwise, this day will hold no meaning for the two of you."

"May I ask you something?" Annika spoke hesitantly.

"What?"

"You said Shivaay's father would keep fast for his mom," Annika ended her sentence there with no intention to complete it.

"Yes, but we have less expectation of Shivaay. Honestly, it's not completely wrong too. He has to take medicines three times a day, and for that, he must eat a complete meal. Please don't expect that much from him now."

Here came her old saas back. The one who cared only for her pota and not her potabahu's feelings and expectations. Annika was still happy with whatever she had. Kalyani's point about Shivaay needing his medicines was not all wrong too.

***

When Annika entered the room, Shivaay was busy with an important call. Seeing the drawers under the dresser, Annika knew he had messed it up again looking for a file. She so hoped he organized them himself instead of yelling at house-helps to do the same. He was one peculiar man. Mess up first and then scowl over for the same.

"No, I don't have that. I gave it to you to keep it," she was sure it was Mishra on the other side, "Listen Mishra if I don't get it on my desk by the time I reach office, you are in deep trouble." and she was right.

He took out his tie from the closet, pulled up his collars, and struggled with it. After the second try, he looked at Annika. She seemed to have suddenly grown an interest in the colors of the curtains. Khanna, Mishra, Rudra, Omkara, even Annika was cursed at one point in time. Annika stood indifferent. This man had to shed his attitude sometime soon. If he asked, she would help him heartily.

"Annika," came a mumble. She looked in his direction. He was ready to strangle himself with the tie.

"I should have asked Khanna to arrange the zipper tie after last time. This Rudy! He is after Bollywood all day. The only thing he could help me with," he voiced out aloud.

Annika caught him peeking in her direction. He was such a kid!

Finding him about to strangle himself with the tie, she hurried forward to help him. He easily passed his hold on the tie to let Annika do it. She looked angry while doing it, the reason of which he knew not.

"Your attitude does little help. If you need anything, just tell me okay? Asking me for a favor won't decrease your height," she said as she made the knot.

"Hey, don't go on my height," he frowned.

"Why not?" there was a challenging tone in her voice.

"Annika!"

"Did you have breakfast?" she asked him.

"No, I am running late" he replied.

"You should eat on the go. I will ask someone to pack food for you," she offered.

"Thanks, but I don't think I will get time today," he said.

"Why? Are you fasting for me?" she asked teasingly.

"Hahaha"

She hit his chest playfully, "Boring man! Mazak bhi nahi samajhte aap."

She tried to leave when he grabbed her waist. Pulling her to himself and he challenged her, "Try me! I may not be a bore."