37. MAN TO MAN

MAN TO MAN

"Sorry to show up so late," Nicole said apologetically and tried an uncomfortable smile.

She looked stunning, even more beautiful than usual, if that was possible.

"No, no, it's OK, come in," Riley motioned her in, stepping to the side to let the woman into the flat.

Nicole looked around as if she hadn't been there in years when in reality, it had only been a few days since that dreadful conversation.

"How are you?" Riley asked, struggling not to pull her close in a hug.

"I'm good, Riley," Nicole said simply, then her eyebrows knotted. "Listen, I've come to talk to you about something," she added.

For a split second, Riley hoped she would ask him to give the relationship a second chance, but as the frown remained on the woman's face, he knew what Nicole was about to say.

"Is it about Alice?" he asked, his heart in his throat.

Nicole smiled, a little embarrassed.

"Yes," she admitted, her hands nervously tugging at the ends of her scarf. "She told me you talked, and that you were quite upset..."

"I think I was shocked more than anything else," Riley half-lied.

"Still, I owe you an apology," Nicole continued, taking Riley by surprise.

The man took a tentative step towards her. "No, Nicky, you don't," he said sternly.

If only she knew the whole truth, she wouldn't think the same.

But the woman nodded, decisively. "No, I do. I've accused you of having feelings for Alice and then I just ran off and..." her words trailed as a pained expression painted her face.

Riley looked at her with so many questions in his head that he didn't know which one to ask first.

"Why did you sleep with her?" he asked eventually, clearing his throat.

Nicole took a deep breath as she gathered her thoughts. "I think I wanted to hurt you in a way, have something that you couldn't have..." she bit her lip, glancing away from him. "And I was curious." Her cheeks flushed as she said that.

Riley's confused expression probed her to continue.

"I was curious to know what you felt, why you're so attracted to her and..." she looked away again. "I guess in a way I've always been drawn to her." Her eyes eventually landed back on Riley's.

He didn't know why, but his heart was beating fast, ready to burst out of his chest.

"Did you feel like this before we broke up?" he asked, still dazzled by Nicole's confession.

The woman bit her lip again, her eyes scanning the floor, deep in thought. "Maybe. In a way..." then she looked back up at Riley. "There's just something about her..."

Riley couldn't believe he was having this conversation. Apparently, Alice had bewitched his girlfriend too.

Ex-girlfriend.

He wanted to hate Alice, but he simply couldn't, no matter how hard he tried.

"Thank you for telling me," Riley said with a weak smile.

"I just realised I was too harsh on you," Nicole admitted. "I looked into your eyes and I saw what was deep in my mind and I freaked out."

At that, Riley gently grabbed her shoulders. "No, Nicky, don't apologise," he urged her. "Despite my feelings for you, I was attracted to Alice and I should have been honest from the start. I was a dick, I don't deserve your apologies."