6. BODY ELECTRIC

BODY ELECTRIC

Riley walked to Mexican Rico and looked around, searching for Alice through the people crowding the pavement. She eventually appeared from behind an old couple, a bright smile as she recognized Riley waiting for her.

Her long tan coat was open to reveal a white silk shirt and a high waist, black pencil skirt with a slit exposing her thigh. Black, knee-high, heeled boots were at her feet. Her hair was in loose thick waves and bounced as she graciously walked towards him.

Forget about it.

"Hey, how are you?" she asked as they entered the restaurant.

"Great, thanks."

He looked at the girl from the corner of his eye, trying to push aside the unfortunate accident of that afternoon.

She does have beautiful eyes.

"...reservation for two under Hart." Riley heard her say coming out of his trance.

The host took the two to their table near the window on the upper level, he gave them food and drink menus and left.

They both focused their attention on the menus, lifting them as a barrier between their silence.

"Still opting for the tacos?" Alice asked, breaking the ice.

"Absolutely," Riley said, putting his menu on the table.

The waiter arrived introducing himself and promptly took their food and drink orders.

"Looks like a cool place," said Riley looking around the crowded restaurant.

"It does! Thank you, again, for saving the day..." Alice said tucking her curls behind her ear.

She looked away briefly and Riley saw a spark of sadness in her eyes.

Her eyes.

He cleared his throat before talking. "No problem, really. I'm glad I could help Aidan, he seemed genuinely sorry he couldn't make it. I'm sure he rather be here with you."

Alice nodded. "I know. He's really stressed too and I don't want to add to it. I'm gonna enjoy him properly when this trial is over." She smiled. "How's the apartment shaping up?" she asked, changing the subject.

"Oh, the flat's amazing, I should be ready to move in in the next few days."

"That's awesome! Finally some privacy for you..." she grinned.

The waiter arrived and placed the pitcher of margarita they had ordered in the centre of the table. Immediately the two filled their glasses and worked on their drinks, allowing the alcohol to burn their throats.

"Oof, that's loaded!" Alice coughed pointing at her glass.

Riley also rasped softly. "Fuck me, I wasn't expecting that!"

They took a moment to let the heat of the drink dissipate, nursing their margaritas.

"So, we can't talk about work," Alice started. "What can we talk about?"

Riley attempted another sip of margarita then replied with a soft chuckle. "Ask me anything..."

Alice pouted her lips to the side, pretending to think carefully. "What do you do in your free time?"

"That's an easy one," Riley paused to allow the waiter to put their food on the table. "I like to work out, to keep active. But mostly I like to read if I have some quiet time."