18. BURNT BRIDGES

BURNT BRIDGES

Riley was lying in bed reading a book, the TV barely audible in the background and Nicole asleep next to him. She stirred a little and kissed his shoulder in her sleep before turning to the other side, Riley brushed her hair from her face and looked at her lovingly.

She was so beautiful.

After the previous night with Alice, it seemed like his obsession had weakened, leaving space for more clarity.

He was attracted to Alice, that was still true, but his fixation for her had started to morph into simple affection.

His heart was for Nicole.

Riley turned off the TV and concentrated on his book, trying to focus on the words without much luck. He had tried to call Alice several times during the day, but without luck; he had eventually given up, but still couldn't shake an impending sense of worry.

After the third time rereading the same page he gave up; he switched the light off and went to sleep. Or at least he tried.

He held Nicole in his arms, careful not to wake her, placing soft kisses on her cheek.

There was a sense of peace emanating from her steady breathing and her relaxed perfect features and Riley bathed in it, trying to calm his racing mind.

Then the bed illuminated blue with a feeble vibrating sound. He turned to his bedside table to find Alice's name on the screen. He hoisted himself on one elbow and quickly opened the message.

Hey, I saw you've been trying to call me. Sorry, I switched my phone off for a bit of peace and quiet. Is everything OK?

Release washed over Riley as he read through the text, and he was quick in his reply.

It's funny you ask me. Yes, Ally, everything is fine. I just wanted to check on you...

After a few minutes, Alice texted back.

You're sweet! I'm fine, honestly. I think the initial scare is gone and I can now see more clearly. You're such a good friend, Riley, and I'm lucky to have you.

This message brought a smile on Riley's lips. He was happy she trusted him and knew she had someone to turn to.

I feel the same. I've spoken to Aidan today, he said you two met. How did it go?

Alice's replied arrived after a long silence that caused Riley to believe he had touched a sensitive subject and maybe annoyed her.

Wanna meet after work tomorrow?

***

The flow of tourist in front of Westminster Abbey was slowly dying at five-thirty in the afternoon. The sky had long turned dark and the November breeze blew cold between the buildings.

Riley leaned against the gate in front of the Crimea memorial, trying to stay clear from the few undaunted groups still taking pictures of the church a distance away.

Letting his gaze wander on the heavy traffic in front of him, he lit a cigarette and set to wait for Alice. He had thought about her all day, about her request to meet with him and how she had avoided his question about Aidan. He hoped she was OK. He hoped his cousin hadn't lied to him, more than he thought he already was, at least not about Alice.

Fuck. Is anyone not keeping secrets?

Nicole isn't. He hoped.

"Riley!" Alice's voice called from the distance, catching his attention from the crowd.