73. STICKS AND STONES

STICKS AND STONES

"This is bullshit!" Riley protested, pushing the chair he had just stood up from to the side. "We have the whole MI6 and MI5 on the case and still no idea who the mole is."

Agent Smith nodded, his frustration mirroring Riley's as his eyes fell downcast and he played with the mug of tea in his hands.

"At least they haven't leaked anything else," Alice commented, biting into an apple, her legs dangling from Gabriel's kitchen counter.

"And we know what happened the last time they were silent for so long," Riley retorted, shooting a glacial glare at her. Her usual calm and lack of preoccupation was starting to rub him the wrong way that day.

Alice's eyebrows rose as she held her hands up in defence before focusing back on her piece of fruit.

"I understand exactly how you feel, Murphy," Smith intervened. "I've been working this mission for over two years now and getting so close to the end with this much uncertainty is nerve-wracking," he admitted. "But right now we need to stay focused on the things we have control over."

Riley leaned against the counter and crossed his arms on his chest. "I'm meeting Aidan and Caroline this evening to go over the collection process," he explained now calmer. "The weapons will arrive at Belfast tomorrow. I think realistically it could take a couple of days to be cleared and shipped off."

"As soon as you have the schedule, share it with me and we will organize the arrests," Smith replied. "We want to coordinate as many as possible together to avoid any magical disappearances with Cooper and Perry being at the top of the list."

"Any specific orders for me?" Alice chirped in.

"No, nothing specific," Smith replied. "Just be your usual joyful and charming self until your fiance is arrested."

Alice instinctively brought her hand to her face and looked at her ring with a nostalgic sadness.

"When do you want us to report back again?" Riley asked.

"With Alice, there's no need to meet unless something comes up," Smith replied. "With you Murphy, on Saturday before the party."

"Yes, sir," Riley agreed.

"From what I gathered from Aidan, many people of interest will be at that party," Alice explained, looking him. "We need to keep our eyes open just in case we hear something or spot someone suspicious."

Riley scoffed. "We should be so lucky," he retorted bitterly, still stewing in his bad mood.

"Guys, we can absolutely do this," Smith encouraged them. "You've been brilliant throughout the whole mission."

"He's only just joined," Alice protested, hinting at Riley with an outraged expression on her face.

Smith sighed and continued.

"Alice, you've been great throughout the whole mission and Riley, you've been a priceless addition to the team." He looked between the two with a proud look. "We've achieved so much. If we can finish the mission as intended, that's amazing but I also want you to remember that the life and wellbeing of my officers is paramount for me."

Alice jumped off the counter and walked to the man. "Aww, the 'your life over theirs' speech, we really are coming to the end," she said, pulling Smith in a side hug.

"Right now it's key to keep a low profile," Smith continued, reserving a special look for Alice. "There has already been too much noise around this case, too many dead flies. If we want to keep it clean in the courtroom, we can't have anything else that could potentially be used against us or it will turn into a public shamble."