CH 15 || Loser

"Hi." My heart jumped out of my chest but when I saw the familiar face I took a breath of relief.

"What happened?" Nikhil asked and took a seat in front of me. His eyes were filled with concern

"Nothing, you scared me," I replied by placing a hand on my heart to calm my accelerated heartbeat.

"Weren't you expecting me here?"

"Why would I?" I asked not getting what he meant.

"Damn! That hurts," he exclaimed, putting his hand on his heart. I was amused by his reaction.

I knitted my brows looking at him when he said, "Now I am not even a barista in your eyes. Oh poor lord what have I done to you that my wife neither considers me a businessman nor a barista."

That's when the reality sunk in. I was sitting in Keepers Cafe which was his. My eyes widened and I felt embarrassed.

"I am so sorry. I..I actually forgot that it's Keepers Cafe. I am really sorry." I stuttered.

"Hey...hey. It's totally fine. You don't have to apologize for something like this."

"I am genuinely sorry. It slipped my mind."

'Great going Anvi' mocked my inner-self.

"Don't worry, Anvi. It happens. Calm Down. I was just pulling your leg." His serene smile assured me that it wasn't big of a deal that I forgot the profession of my husband.

"So what are you doing here? I thought you will be at home." He questioned. I pointed toward the pile of files kept on the table and replied, "I had to pick up some stuff from my place."

"Oh."

"That's all you had there?" He asked eyeing my stuff kept on the table.

"No, I thought to pick up the rest of the stuff later when I will tell my roommate about my marriage. I haven't told her anything yet."

"Cool." Nikhil's reply was discreet and I didn't know how he felt when I said I hadn't told my roommate. Nikhil didn't look the way he used to before. It seemed as if he was upset as if something was bothering him.