CH 8 || Take A Step

Author's POV

Author's POV

Nikhil's eyes lighted up as soon as he saw his grandma standing at the door. Shakuntala came and sat on the bed and when patted her lap, Nikhil like a three-year-old kept his head on her lap. She started caressing his hair lovingly. Nikhil for a while forgot all the mishappenings of his life and closed his eyes enjoying his grandmother's love.

Shakuntala was waiting for him to speak up.

"Grandma." Nikhil broke the silence that was spread into the room for the last ten minutes just like she had anticipated.

"Yes, Nikky," Shakuntala called him from the nickname he never allowed anyone to call him except her.

"Everything is changed," he said. His dejected voice made Shankuntala uneasy.

"Hmmm."

"I am scared."

"Hmmm."

"And worried too."

"Hmmm." Irritated of his grandma's monotonous redundant answers he got up from her lap and sat in front of her. Looking sadly at her he asked, "What's with this hmmm every time? I need your help."

"I know."

"Then help, me, please." He knew all he needed was a little guidance and things will start to be on track slowly.

"Ok, tell me how do you feel?" Nikhil was bemused and thought out of all person she was asking how was he feeling even when he knew that she was aware of what he must be feeling. Nonetheless, he decided to answer.

"I don't know grandma how do I feel, I am confused and I feel so...feel so.." he couldn't find the appropriate word to describe his life that used to be organized before but not anymore.

Shakuntala understood her grandson's dilemma and answered for him, "Disoriented?"

"Yeah," he replied. That's why he liked her company. She always gets to know his thoughts.

"What do you want to do now? Leave the girl you married?" She knew his grandson, and also that he had already made up his mind for something.

"What? No." Nikhil almost yelled. Shakuntala smiled for brief so that her grandson couldn't notice.

"Then what do you want?"

"I don't know." He knew what he wanted but was scared to accept it. Well, the always organized guy's life has become a little messy and he was scared of the fact that things will not go like the way he had planned.

"Help me, please." he pleaded, feeling helpless because of the condition.

"What do you think, is the right thing to do?" she asked.

"How would I know?"

"OK, tell me what's bothering you the most." He sighed audibly before saying,

"You know grandma, that I always plan a lot before taking a step. I am used to take calculative decisions. Marriage is a big thing and it wasn't even on my cards till I turn thirty. You know why?"