Chapter 22

George POV

"Who hurt you George?"

My whole body freezes. Those words send me into a cold sweat. My face is blank as I look at his pale neck. I can see the muscle in his neck shift as he clears his throat.

Dream POV

"I didn't mean it like that Geo-"

He loosens his grip on my shirt and stands up. He's looking at his feet as he puts his hand out, trying to refrain from eye contact.

"Let's go to the couch really quick."

I stand up and grab his hand. He turns his head and locks eyes with mine, quickly gluing them back to the floor after.

His hands are warm and sweaty. He still has a light limp when he walks so I slowly wrap my arm under his and prop him up. He gives me a worried smile and continues walking.

I help rest him into the couch. He looks up and pats the empty seat next to him. I slowly sit down and look into his chocolaty eyes.

Brown eyes are normally so, boring. But when I look into George's , I feel like I'm floating away from reality. I feel my back and jaw loosen as I melt into his eyes.

He slowly brings a balled fist to his mouth and lets out a quiet cough. I straighten my back and look back at him with full attention.

"Is there something you want to talk about-?"

He looks at his hands and takes a breathe in, holding it for awhile. He lets it out by saying one simple word.

"Yes."

I lift my legs up and sit criss cross right in-front of him. I soften my eyes and send him a reassuring smile. He gives me a light chuckle but it quickly fades back into a serious face.

"Dream I-"

His voice is shaky and brittle. It sounds like he's going to break into pieces. His hands are trembling and without a moments hesitation, I rest my warm one on his now cold ones.

The older looks up and lightly smiles. He flips his hand and pushes our palms together while interlocking his fingers with mine.

"Dream, I have been in a relationship before but it wasn't a very good one. Well I mean it wasn't bad per say but-"

"Did somebody hurt you? I swear to god if they even laid a single finger on yo-!"

My voice is filled with rage. Who the hell could hurt this man? All he wants to do is make others feel better. He always checks up on everybody and genuinely cares for them. I constantly have to remind him that he needs to put himself before others.

"Dream, not like that you goof."

My eyes drop a bit and my chest deflates. Thank god.

"They were great, really. Of course not better than you."

He nudges my shoulder in a playful motion and I smile back.

"They were caring and always loved to go on adventures. I even thought of proposing at one point.. thank god I didn't."

Propose.. for some reason hearing him say that word brings butterflies to my stomach. I quickly recenter myself and look back to George.

"We dated for around four years. One night, I was going to their house to surprise them with a dog. They said they had always wanted one but never had the money."

He takes a breathe in. He was talking quick and his accent was thicker than ever. I struggled to understand his words but I managed.

"I pulled up to their house and there was a car parked up front. I had never seen it before so I just thought it was a friend. I had a house key so I walked in to find them extremely close on the couch watching a movie.."

George lets out a light sniffle. I rub his knuckles with my thumb to reassure him that everything is okay.

"So I broke up with them in the spot. I'm glad I did. If I didn't I would've never had Dog, but most importantly, I wouldn't have you.."

He looks up at me with red and puffy eyes. I smile and pull him into a tight hug. Without hesitation, he pushes all his weight onto my chest and pushes me down. I quickly grab his shirt collar and pull him down with me.

He's laying on my chest now as I keep my grip on his shirt collar. He laughs nervously and rests his cheek on my chest. I smile and wrap my arms around his back. I could lay here forever.

George POV

His chest is warm and soft. His hoodie gives me a good amount of cushioning. After a good 30 seconds of resting in this position, Dream rests his chin on my head and starts humming a familiar tune.

The vibrations from his chest warm up my entire body. I could just sit here and listen for hours. The smooth hums as he rubs his thumb lightly on my back sets me at ease.

I open my eyes and tilt my head up. As I look up I see that scar across Dreams lower jaw again. I want to ask him about it.

He noticed that I was staring at it and brushed his finger tips against it.

"This old thing? Yeah.. I've had it for years."

I can't help but bring my hand up to his face. I lightly cup the area around it and brush my thumb over it with a soft touch.

He smiles and scrunches his nose.

"You don't have to tell me but.. what happened?"