knj | prompt #2

2. "I'm single because I'm mentally exhausting." "You're literally single because you've always rejected me since seventh grade."

***

There are so many things to like about Namjoon, it's almost safe to say that he's perfect. First one on the list would be that he's friendly. Friendly enough to be your friend when no one wanted to share a pizza with you during halloween party considering the fact that you were going through your edgy teenager phase and you always thought of yourself as an outcast.

Secondly, he has the world's most beautiful eye shape. You only realized this when he gave you a smile, then you thought to yourself, I'll never see crescent eyes as great as this one.

Third, he's smart. Smarter than anyone you'd ever known. From the moment you saw him, you already knew he was. Because there are people you just look at, and you already know they've experienced so many wonderful things.

Fourth, his voice. He was a good story-teller, you could listen to anything he says because it's just that heavenly.

There's too many to count and a page isn't enough. But even though Kim Namjoon was as perfect as a god in your eyes, there's still that one thing that separates you from him. You're dying to break this tiny wall that bounds you from having a relationship with him.

That is your other best friend, Hannah.

Hannah's sweet. Hannah's smart. Hannah likes to read books all day. Hannah's got the periodic table of elements memorized. Hannah wears a size two. Hannah's every girl's nightmare. Hannah was your nightmare.

Hannah's your opposite, she likes to go to bed at eight. Hannah's not like you, she's read every Jane Austen novel. You're so unlike Hannah, you're into comic books. You hate what Hannah likes, you're not into chai latte.

But opposites do attract, that's why she's your best friend. Because even before the great angst teenage phase, she was there. She was there when you fell on a slide ladder and being the Hannah that she is, she always carry a band aid with herself. She was there when you felt lost, there when you felt insecure.

No one beats Hannah, you tell yourself during sixth grade gym class. Hannah always win, you watch her feet run through the tracks.

Then she didn't. The new exchange student from Korea won against her. For once, Hannah lost track and field against Kim Namjoon.

You still remember Hannah's eyes that fell out of her head, her jaw that touched the ground. The other students were gossiping. "Hannah lost? No way!" Because aside from you, there were other people who believed in Hannah.

You were furious, mad. How dare he beat my best friend? As if it was his fault that he won, but you blamed him. But you were shocked when Hannah says, "I like him."

At first, you couldn't believe it. Hannah's not like any other girls who swoon over boys. Then you thought, how could liking a boy be such an imperfection? She was still Hannah, the girl that helped you get up on your feet at the playground.

October came that same year, Hannah wasn't able to accompany you during the halloween party. You wore your Scarlet Witch costume hoping someone would get it. And when the teacher was passing out the thin slice of pizza, no one wanted to share your table.