A New Development.

Mirabelle and Rikki pull up at Emma's house in about 30 minutes. Rikki had already texted Cleo to meet them at Emma's house before hand.

" Whose house is this? " Mirabelle asks in slight awe, her house was way bigger than it.

" It's Emma's, it's dope right? " Rikki responds as she walks to the door, and rings the door bell.

" I already texted Cleo, and she'll be here in a few. "

As Rikki finishes speaking, the door opens to reveal Emma's little brother Elliot.

" Yes, can I help you? " He says folding his arms, with his eyes narrowed, trying to look intimidating to Rikki and Mirabelle.

Mirabelle stiffles a laugh, as Rikki answers

" Not really, we're not here for you munch, we're here to see Emma, so step aside " she says leaning down to his eye level, and smiling sweetly at him.

" Well, you can't see Emma, until you tell me the reason for your visit " he responds still keeping up the intimidating facade.

" And the reason, is none of your business. Don't you have a cartoon to get back to or something? " Rikki says, already loosing patience with the child.

" I'm a big boy, I don't watch cartoons " he responds, puffing up his chest, to prove his point.

" That's cute. " Rikki says, then stops smiling " now step aside munch, I have very little patience with children " she adds in a monotone voice.

Elliot and Mirabelle go to say something at the same time, when Emma interrupts.

" Clearly, " she says opening the door a little wider, and glaring at Rikki. " Thank you Elliot, I'll take it from here. " She says smiling down at her little brother.

" Okay.. call me if you need anything " he responds, not taking his eyes off of the Intruders, especially Rikki who is still glaring at him, now standing at her full height, and then disappears into the house.

" Really, Rikki, he's only a child. You couldn't keep your bitch in check for a little while? " Emma asks rhetorically, folding her arms, and popping out a hip in a sassy pose.

" It wasn't me, he started it and I was only being honest. He's lucky I'm in a good mood today otherwise, there would've been tears " Rikki says simply with a shrug of her shoulders.

Emma narrows her eyes at the last comment and wants to say something, when she finally notices the third party.

" And who's this? " She asks with an eyebrow raised.

Rikki looks behind her, as if just remembering she had company.

" Oh right. Emma, this is Mirabelle, and Mirabelle, I'm pretty sure you know our very own queen of nerds, Emma Gilbert " Rikki introduces with a dramatic bow at the end.

Emma stares at her incredulously, but just rolls her eyes, instead of commenting.

" Hi. " Mirabelle says with a timid smile and wave.

" The cafeteria creep? " Emma asks Rikki, ignoring mirabelle's greeting.

" The very one. " Rikki responds with a smirk.

" Why is she here? " Emma asks Rikki with a frown. She didn't like having strangers at her house.

" That is a very interesting question, that I will answer, once Cleo gets here. Now be a darling, and show me to your kitchen, for I am quite hungry " Rikki responds cheerily.

She is about to go inside, when Cleo pulls up on her bicycle.

" Hey guys, sorry I'm late, Lewis got a little sidetracked. " She greets as she jogs to them.

" Mirabelle, hi, what are you doing here? " Cleo asks, looking at Mirabelle confused.

" Hey, I told you we'd see each other more often didn't I? " Mirabelle answers, happy to see Cleo.

" You know her? " Emma asks surprised.

" Yeah, we met in the bathroom at school today. " Cleo responds smiling.

" Right.. well, now that the party is complete, we shall begin " Rikki says with a clap of her hands, and struts into the house, straight to the kitchen.

" Begin what? " Cleo asks confused as she and Mirabelle drop their bags on the couch, and follow Rikki into the kitchen behind Emma.

" That's what I'd like to know " Emma says now standing behind the kitchen island and staring pointedly at Rikki, who is nonchalantly munching on ice cream.

Mirabelle goes and stands beside Emma, a safe distance from an impatient looking Emma, who was beginning to scare her.

" This ice cream is really good. What flavor is this, mocha, vanilla, or is it chestnut? " Rikki says inspecting the ice cream cup, as she purposely ignores Emma.

" I don't understand " Cleo says, utterly bewildered.

" Seriously Rikki, cut the crap, why did you bring Mirabelle here? " Emma snaps.

Rikki doesn't even spare her a glance, as she saunters up the stairs to Emma's room.

Mirabelle winces at the sharp edge in Emma's tone.

They all follow Rikki. Cleo behind Emma, and Mirabelle behind Cleo.
Rikki goes in and sits on the chair at Emma's desk, and swings around smiling.

" Shut the door will ya? " She says to Mirabelle who is the last to enter. She complies.

Emma and Cleo sit on Emma's bed, facing Rikki, while Mirabelle stands bedside Rikki awkwardly, looking at the floor and twiddling her thumbs. She was beyond nervous.

" Okay, now that we're all here, we have a new development ladies. " Rikki begins, dumping her now empty cup on the table.

" What new development? " Emma asks, her eyes narrowed as she tries to ignore the trash on her desk. She'd deal with that, later.
"I'm getting to that " Rikki says

" As you all know, I went swimming today, and you'll never guess who decided to drop in on me in the most shocking way ever " she adds, her eyes twinkling in mischief, as she mentally laughs at her pun.

This causes Emma and Cleo to stare at Mirabelle, one in suspicion, the other in confusion. Mirabelle becomes uncomfortable with all the stares, and begins to shift from foot to foot not looking up at them. She felt like a criminal, who was being judged for her crimes in the most brutal way possible. She didn't like it, but she couldn't help it. She wasn't very good with social situations. Infact, this was the highest number of people she'd interacted with at once, and it made her want to wet herself.

" Wait, hold up. She saw you? " Emma asks, her eyes wide in shock.

" Oh even better, she swam with me " Rikki adds, with a devilish smile. She was thoroughly enjoying herself with this.

" I don't understand " Cleo pipes in for the second time that day, as she blinks her eyes in complete disbelief, if possible.

Rikki takes a deep breath " ladies, Mirabelle is one of us. " She drops the bomb.

" What do you mean ' one of us ', is she a... " Emma starts

" Mermaid.. " Mirabelle finishes in a whisper. " I'm also a mermaid " she says again, now looking at Emma and Cleo with determined eyes.

" Well, shit. " They breathe simultaneously.

# # # #

And done! The bomb has been dropped! Now how the heck are Emma and Cleo gonna react to this ' New Development '?  well, the next chapter is gon ' have all the answers.

Get ready for more drama, more fights and... Whoops, I've said too much 🤐 just keep reading 😏

Please vote and comment, I really love hearing your thoughts on the book, it'll help me know where I need to improve as an author.

Thank you all.

Song Suggestion: More and More by TWICE 🙃

Till next time,

Luwiza out ✌️