Chapter 19: Short lived happiness

LIL'S POV:

I'm looking out at the beach in front of where Peter had taken me earlier. Except now, the beach isn't dark. It's illuminated with the brilliantly vivid colors I imagined the beach would posses during the day. The sun shines down onto the ocean, and the waves calmly bask in it's warmth. I smile when I see a tail flip out of the water.
Then suddenly, the sky goes dark with clouds that seem so full they could burst at any moment and shower the beach in a violent storm. The waves in the ocean begin growing larger, and within a matter of seconds they are foaming ferociously, like some type of rabid animal.

I take a step back when I feel the cold, bitterness of the waves roll against my feet. Even the sand itself looks darker, almost sick. The wind around me picks up at a speed that nearly knocks me over, and I struggle to stay upright. I shield my eyes with my hand, and brush the hair our of my mouth. A second burst of wind finally does the job of knocking me down, onto the hard sand. Once I'm down I realize that I'm in different clothing. A white flowing shirt with some type of brown corset laced around my midriff. My pants are tight black things, they seem like a type of legging. I reach a hand down and feel the material of my pants, confused as to what's going on, and that's when I hear it.

Only for a moment, but it makes me whip my head up, against the wind, and look to the sky. For that's where the sound had surely came from. As I stare up, the clouds swirl and morph into a spiral, looking angrier by the moment. The wind picks up, and I hear it again.
A scream.
A deep, elongated scream that seems so full of pain, it causes me to cover my ears from the sickening noise.

Yet another strong gust of wind pushes me down on my back, pinned into the sand as it conforms to my shape. The scream comes once more, carried by the wind and through the clouds. Those dark clouds above my head open and release a down pour of rain. The droplets are just hitting my face when I feel a nudge on my arm, and the scene around me begins to dissipate.

"Lilith. Lilith wake up." A voice urges.

My surroundings are dark, but the voice seems close.

"Lilith!"

I forcefully lift my head from the damp pillow and open my eyes. I'm panting, and my clothes are moist with a sweat that sticks my hair to my neck. My thoughts come into focus and as I look to my left, I see Peter standing over me, looking worried. I roll onto my bum and wipe my face rid of the sweat.

"Are you alright?" He asks.

"Um, yeah." I say, still trying to calm my heart rate, "Just a bad dream, I suppose."

Peter bends down and reaches a hand towards my face. My breath catches in my throat. I feel him brush a finger next to my lips, and take it away.

He catches my staring and laughs, "You had some hair stuck to your face."

"Oh, I ... um... thanks." I manage to stammer, trying to hide my embarrassment.

He takes a step back and places both his hands on his hips, "You ready for another day of searching?"

I swing my feet out of bed and stand, stretching my back slightly, "When do we start? The sooner we find them, the sooner I can apologize for being such an awful friend."

Peter crosses his arms over his chest, "You're so concerned about this 'friends' thing. You've got me, you know. I'm much more fun than anyone will ever be."

Here's the side of him I never get tired of seeing in person. The child. The jealous, naive, imaginative child who most people leave behind once they reach adulthood, but luckily for Peter, and for me, that part has not left him yet.