Chapter 45: Old and New Friends

"Old friends pass away, new friends appear. It is just like the days. An old day passes, a new day arrives. The important thing is to make it meaningful: a meaningful friend - or a meaningful day." -Dalai Lama

OMNISCIENT POV:

Peter hovered behind thick tree branches in the dark of night, the moon's light dulled by passing clouds. The warm air was still, making it more difficult not to be heard as Peter accidentally brushed against dead leaves on the tree. He bit his tongue and kept to the shadows, avoiding all sources of light

This sky was sad, and the stars above showed little signs of life, unlike they usually did when Peter was near. Normally, they talked to him. Encouraged him, joked with him, sometimes even warned him of passing danger -- but tonight, they were quiet, and it only made Peter's boyish heart ache more.

As silently as he could, Peter flew himself away from the wilting tree and closer to the open window. He pressed his back against the wall just beyond the window, and ever so carefully, he poked his head around the corner of the familiar house and looked inside.

The small room was dimly lit by flickering candles on the walls, and a dying fire struggled to stay alive in the furnace.

Peter had been to this place many times. He could easily find it with his eyes closed, and simply allow his heart to find it for him. It's location was permanently etched into his mind, and even now as he stared into the unfamiliar room, he knew he was in the right place.

Although the three, small beds had been replaced by one, large one; and although the doghouse had been removed, and the toys taken away -- Peter recognized it immediately. It was rather strange for him to see the place once so fit for a child turned in to a room for an adult. But stranger still, was the fragile person slowly rocking back and forth in the chair by the fire.

Peter placed both of his dirty feet on the white step of the window, and looked inside. The fire flickered quickly upon his entrance, but that was the only sign of his appearance.

"Hello Peter." said a woman's raspy voice from the chair by the fire.

Peter held his breath for a minute and shook the anxiety from his hands, before walking across the wooden floor to the woman in the chair.

She was a fragile old lady, and when I say old I do mean old. Her pale skin wrinkled on her face, and her blue eyes looked tired. The hair on her head was grey, and she had strange dark spots on her bony hands which lay clasped on her lap. Around her neck was a golden chain, and on the end was an acorn with a hole in it. The woman's withered face lit up in a warm smile as she saw Peter, and he did his best not to gasp too loudly and scare her. He had learned by now that when people left Neverland, this is what they turned into.

She shook her head, "It has been a very long time, my old friend."
"Me?" Peter asked, chuckling at her, "Old?"
The woman grinned and waved her hand at him, "I may look like the old one, but you're older still."
Peter crossed his arms, "No, I am only a boy. You know that."
She smiled to herself and looked down at her hands, "Believe me, I know. You're still as stubborn as ever, Peter."
"And you're still as observant as ever." He said with a bounce in his toes.

The old woman laughed softly and looked up at Peter, "It's good to see you again, Peter."
He warmly smiled at her, "It's good to see you too, Jane."

After Wendy had gone and decided to grow up, Peter had resented her for many years. He was angry that she had chosen to grow up instead of living on Neverland with him and staying a child. Though the years had no effect on Peter, they were even longer for Wendy, and by the time he had finally decided he could forgive her and perhaps take her back to Neverland for a night, he returned to the nursery to find another little girl in her bed. It was Jane, Wendy's daughter. Peter was devastated. He couldn't understand why Wendy had grown so quickly, and why this new girl was in her bed. But, in the end it worked out. He forgave Wendy, and ended up taking Jane back to Neverland instead of her.