Chapter 18: The Search Begins

OMNISCIENT POV:

Soon enough, the trees began receding and white sand replaced them. A couple palm trees were scattered here and there but the white sand was unmistakable. Peter flew them down and Lil's feet sank into the sand. It felt different then sand back home. This sand was softer, and lighter. Stepping into it felt like stepping on a cloud. Lil wiggled her toes and watched the sand fall around them. She bent down and picked up a hand full, her dress pooling around her as she did. She let the sand fall through her hands, and not a single piece stuck to her fingers once it was gone, reminding her of the beach Jonathan showed her back in Ireland.

She stood up and gazed out at the crystal blue water, to which she could see the bottom perfectly, even in the dark.

"Where are we?" She asked.

"We call it Crystal Beach."

"Why's that?"

"If you look, you can see to the bottom of the ocean. So its crystal clear, but also the water here is special. Watch this."

Peter bent down and picked up a palm-sized brown rock. He held it out in front of Lil for her to see, before he walked down to the shore and stuck his hand in the water. A few moments passed and then he stood upright and walked back over to Lil. This time when he held up the rock, it was no longer a rock. It was a crystal.

Lil's mouth hung open as she took the crystal from Peter's hands and examined it. It was a smooth stone, made of white crystal.

"No way." She breathed, rubbing her fingers over the stone.

"Pretty cool huh?" Peter responded.

"Definitely interesting."

Lil handed the stone back to Peter but he shook his head.

"Keep it. I've got plenty."

Lil clutched the rock tighter and smiled at Peter, "Thank you."

Peter smiled back and bounced on his toes, he pointed to Lil's right

"Over that way is what we call Cannibal Cove, and there," he pointed to the left, "Is Mermaid Lagoon."

Lil took an unintentional step to the left, "Can we go there, Peter? I'd love to meet the mermaids!"

"I'm sure you would," he chuckled, "But the mermaids can be.... unpredictable."

"I always thought mermaids were kind, and even helpful."

"They're helpful alright, helpful at killing you." He said under his breath.

"What'd you say?" Lil asked.

"Nothing. Let's start looking for your friends."

Peter walked back to the water's edge and Lil followed. He stopped and pointed out at sea,

"That's where the portal comes out. I can fly, so getting out is no problem, but for you and now your friends, that means swimming all the way here. Which means risk of drowning, or something worse."

"Worse!?" Lil exclaimed, "What could be worse?"

"Neverland is a mysterious place, Lilith. For all the good and beauty that exists here, there is an equal amount of darkness."

The distance between where Peter pointed and the beach where they stood was far. Lil had no memory of crossing the sea.

"I swam that?" She said in disbelief. Peter nodded, "It's a miracle you made it, and even you almost didn't. Let's hope your friends were as lucky."