Chapter 25: Pressure

"True character is revealed in the choices a human being makes under pressure - the greater the pressure, the deeper the revelation, the truer the choice to the character's essential nature."
-Robert McKee

LILITH'S POV:

Waking up the next morning and getting started back to camp was, needless to say, very awkward.

Quite honestly, I don't really know what happened. Peter and I didn't do anything.

Zip. Nothing. Nada.

Things broke apart and we both went to sleep, on our owns, and that was that.

When we woke up at first light, the conversation was brief.

"Once we get through this thicker part of the jungle I'll fly us back to the tree house." Was all he said to me.

I didn't reply. I just nodded and folded my arms across my chest.

I felt the tension between us, and it was as thick as honey. Peter's body movements around me were stiff, conserved. He walked at a brisk pace, several steps ahead of me as we climbed in and around several large vines, and didn't bother to slow down or check to see if I was behind him. I could have fallen dead and he wouldn't have even noticed. I had a difficult time keeping up with him, considering the fact that my annoying dress kept getting caught on every branch I stepped over. As I ducked under low hanging branches and pushed vines out of my face, I caught Peter taking a brief glance over his shoulder.

So maybe he was keeping a tab on me, but that didn't change the fact that he obviously wanted nothing to do with me.

I replayed the memory over and over again in my mind. We almost kissed. Alright, big deal. It's just a kiss. It's not like I'm asking him to marry me or something. He's the bloody leader of Neverland, and he's afraid to kiss a girl? I guess that could be just who he is. I mean, I've always known Peter Pan was a child. It's no secret he has no interest in girls or kisses but, then why didn't he pull away sooner? And why did he invite me to Neverland in the first place?

It just doesn't make any sense why we're not talking to each other.... again. The journey here was spent with him being mad at me for wanting to get the Neverleaf, and now the return to the tree house is being spent in an equal silence. And this time it's not him being angry with me, it's both of us not really knowing what to do.

Yes, I'll admit I'm a contributing factor to this growing separation. I could have said something. After we almost kissed, this morning, now even- but I'm too scared. Every time I think of something to say to him, I can't manage to get the words out of my mouth. They get caught in the back of my throat and I'm forced to bite my lip to reduce it's shaking.

Peter and I finally emerge from the humid mess of jungle into a much more open, and cooler, part of the forest. The trees out here are filled with beautiful shades of dark greens, and even some oranges. The grass is alive and bursting with the sweet smell of life, unlike the dying smell I had been in the presence of for the past day and a half. I stopped at the place where sunlight found it's way through the trees and looked up. The sky was crystal blue and as I stood in the warm sunshine, I tilted my head back to drink up it's glowing goodness. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, feeling a soft breeze rustle my dress and flow through my hair.

I opened my eyes when I heard someone clear their throat behind me. I spun to see Peter standing there with his hands on his hips,

"Sorry to interrupt but, it's safe to fly now."

I realize now I've wasted precious moments basking in the moment instead of getting the Neverleaf back to Jonathan.

"Oh, alright." I shyly say.