Chapter 35: The Red Morning

"Red sky in the night, sailor's delight. Red sky in the morning, sailor's warning." - Old Sailor's Rhyme

LIL'S POV:

By midday, we all stood on the shore of Crystal Beach, watching a large ship with billowing sails sway gently on the pale blue horizon.

From far enough away, it didn't look like a threat. Just a simple, old, ship with four grand sails and a large wooden body. But, upon further inspection through a telescope, one could see that this ship posed more of a problem.

A black flag that swayed at the very top mast of the ship explained to the world that this was no ordinary ship.

It was a pirate ship.

The flag had a white skeleton's face with sunken eyes staring out to sea, and in the open mouth of the skeleton was a bird. Flying unknowingly into a skull filled with sharp, angular teeth.

As I watched that flag dance in the cool, afternoon breeze, I couldn't help but feel that it was some sick metaphor for the events that were yet to pass.

The only thing was, I already knew what was going to pass. I knew the fate of every person standing here on the shore beside me. Pip, Lucky, Duke, Mudpie, Trevor, Coast, Nate, Wally, Gil, Bubs, Peter, and even Alina. I knew what (at some point or another... in this life or the next) was to befall them. And it terrified me. It terrified me to think that under some awful circumstance that those things may come true today.

Peter's reassurances had only helped so much. He was confident in his abilities, and the abilities of the Lost Boys, but I was more worried about the abilities of the pirates.

They were unsure as to where the pirates had been the past few years (which had been a long while in my time), and that frightened me. The pirates could have buffed up... gotten smarter... learned new strategies. But it seemed that I was the only one who cared.

So as we stood side by side on the beach, looking out at the fight that was waiting for us, I tried to steal some of the excited energy from the boys - and put all other doubts behind me. Including Jonathan.

Jonathan.

Why oh why did he have to kiss me now? Of all the opportunities! It's not that I didn't enjoy it... frankly it was quite nice, he was very sweet about it. But if it was meant to help me relax, it only made me more nervous.

"Alright boys," Peter cleared his throat as he stepped in front of us, "And girls. The time is upon us to come face to face with the enemy once again. You know the plan. So stick to it, and if all goes well, the treasure will be ours in no time! And if not... well, I guess we'll just have to make sure we succeed then, won't we?"

Everyone cheered and raised their weapons. The noise slightly startled me, and I was delayed in raising my rapier into the sky. What frightened me even more was the bloodthirsty look in the eyes of the Lost Boys. They didn't have an ounce of fear, or doubt, in what they were doing. To them this whole battle seemed like... a game.

Maybe it's time I do the same. I need to get over this anxiety and just... fight. I mean, who wouldn't want to sword fight with pirates to win a load of treasure? And alongside Peter Pan, no less. Hundreds of people would kill to be in the position I'm in. But then why do I feel like I'd really rather be in a cozy chair reading about this adventure instead of living it?

"No, Lilith." I yell at myself, "It's time to stop dreaming about being a hero and actually behave like one."

Peter smiles at me, before sticking two fingers in his mouth and giving a high pitched whistle.