Chapter 30: Inescapable

"Triumph is often nearest when defeat seems inescapable."
- B.C Forbes

LIL'S POV:

"What in all of Neverland do you mean by 'a boy who stayed exactly how he was, unsure of himself and how his emotions buzzed'?" Peter yelled, stomping closer to the Fates, "Is that supposed to me? Is this some kind of twisted joke?"

I could hardly wrap my head around it either. The bizarre rhyming scheme that the Fates spoke in made the entire thing a bit difficult to comprehend. But mostly what I got from it was that Queen Madelyn was telling the truth. There's some prophecy written about me, and it's going to happen because it's part of my destiny. I mean, at least that's what these women said... I think.

I just still don't understand. Why me? Why not any other girl in the entire bloody world? Out of every person in the planet, well... my planet, it's me. I'm the one with this inescapable and extremely dangerous destiny. And to make matters even better, apparently everyone on this island knows about it. So that means one of two things. One: they'll help me fulfil what I'm supposed to do, and encourage me to do it. Or two: they'll try to stop me.

I'm pulled out of my state of shock when I see Peter being tossed to the back of the room by a tree root that is somehow hovering in the air. My eyes follow him across the room as I watch him hit the ground with a loud thump.

I gasp, my feet momentarily frozen in place, but immediately take action and run over to him.

"Peter!" I say, almost a whisper, as I bend down and put a hand under his head.

His eyes open, filled with a ferocity I'd never seen in them. And like before, I could have sworn there was a red hue to them.

Grudgingly, he lifted his head, using his back to propel himself up and putting one hand to the back of his skull. He gritted his teeth as he looked at the Fates.

My hand had moved to his mid-back, covered in pieces of dirt and scratched from the impact.
He looks at me, pain behind those fierce eyes, "I'm alright."

I turn to the Fates, with just as much anger as I know Peter has. The middle woman has her hand extended, palm facing us, and the tree root is hovering below it. As she puts her hand back at her side, the root slithers into the ground.

"Don't make us cut the thread too soon boy, for if we do she'll be alone. But try that again and we will do it, you'll fall to the ground as hard as stone."

An obvious threat, no doubt because Peter got too hasty and rushed at them.

How terrifying to think that all these women had to do was cut a thread, and someone died. We, could die.
But, wait...

"I thought he was a part of my destiny. If you kill him, what then?" I shout at them from across the room.

" 'Tis true that we write destinies,
but not all are followed how we arrange. 'Tis true that you need him to complete your journey, but fate can be cruel and destinies changed."

"So you can change destinies? Rewrite them?" I exclaim, a sudden idea coming to mind, "Change mine then! Don't make me the Kulethe."

The Fates each shake their heads, "Yours is a destiny, written long before others. Before the first mortals walked on Earth, and long before your own Mother's. It cannot be changed, it cannot be tweaked.
For you will make Neverland how it was intended to be."

I move my hand from Peter's back and run it through my own knotted hair, giving an exasperated laugh, "You can change other people's destinies but not mine? Great. That's just typical me. Exactly my luck."