Chapter 8: Missing Arrival

Lil's taste buds danced in pure ecstasy as she took another bite of the Apple Amber.

"My God," She said with a full mouth, "This is the best thing I've ever eaten!"

Jonathan looked proudly at her, and then back to the box with a half eaten pie, "Told you it'd be good!"

Lil closed her eyes and savored another sweet bite.

"Yes. But I didn't think it'd be this good!"

She took her time chewing each bite and savoring the taste. Once she had finished her slice, she wiped her hands together to brush away the crumbs. Surprisingly, it wasn't unbearably hot out. The sun was past it's peak in the sky, but it wasn't done heating the earth quite yet. The shade from the trees lowered the temperature a few degrees which also made the weather more comfortable.

"Abbey's the best pastry chef in town." Jonathan smiled, finishing his slice.

Lil nodded, "That was by far the greatest dessert I've ever tried."

"Wait until you try her other stuff! She's got meringues, cupcakes, sponge cakes, and even home made gelato!" He said with enthusiasm.

"Gelato?"

"You've never tried it?" He asked.

"No. What is it?"

Jonathan gave an exaggerated gasp, "This is not acceptable. Not one bit. There's no way you're spending another day in NewCastle without trying Gelato. I just won't allow it."

Lil picked at the chipped nail polish on her fingernails and giggled.

But then a thought hit her.

"Does this mean you're asking me to hang out again?" She shyly asked.

Jonathan flipped his brown hair and clasped his hands together on his lap, "I most definitely am."

He was close to her. Closer than when they sat down. Like he somehow scooted closer and Lil hadn't noticed until this moment. All the things that at first seemed awkward and uncomfortable, were at last relaxing. She no longer felt nervous to be around him. In fact, she was beginning to ask herself about when she'd she him again, after today.

Everything about him just made Lil's heart skip a beat. Everything from his gorgeous blue eyes to his crooked grin. He was absolutely,  undeniably... attractive. And sometimes, Lil noticed, the way he looked at her, like right now, made her wonder if he felt the same way. If it was possible, that after only a day, they were somehow falling in love? Lil had been in relationships before, but love? That had never been a real concept. Until maybe now...

"Oh," Jonathan mumbled.

"What is it?" Lil asked, confused.

"You've got a little, uh, pie on your face."

She felt her cheeks go red as she attempted to wipe it away, "Did I get it?"

"Not quite. It's a little bit to the left of... here, let me get it."

Jonathan leaned over and gently wiped the corner of her lips, but once he finished, his hand stayed there. It didn't feel weird. It felt... nice, Lil thought. Their eyes were locked except for his occasional glance at her lips. She could feel her heart beat picking up again and the air around her froze.

Ruining the perfect moment, Lil's cell phone buzzed. The noise caused Jonathan to back away and give a shy laugh.

Lil dragged a hand across her face as she reached for her phone.