Chapter 5: Peter Who?

"So you really had to leave behind your best friend?" Jonathan asked.

"Uh yeah," Lil reminisced at the thought, "We still talk but I suppose I'll never see her again. We're half a world away from each other."

Mike snatched a fry from Wendi.

"Where'd you say you're from again?" He asked.

"Australia."

"That's so cool!" He replied.

Lil smiled and crumpled up her patty wrapper.

As she did so, she noticed out of the corner of her eye that Jonathan was staring at her. She blushed and fiddled with a rock on the floor.

"Jonathan!" Wendi yelled, "Stop staring at her!"

"Sorry!" He yelled back, "It's just..."

Lil self-consciously tucked a piece of hair behind her ear.

"Just what?" She asked.

"Just that... you dont look like a lot of the girls here."

"I thought red hair was common here." Lil laughed.

"It is." He interjected, "but you just... I don't know. You seem... different. You're like a walking mystery."

Lil blushed again and fidgeted on the floor.

"But in a completely good and non creepy kind of way!" He spoke up.

Lil looked him straight in the eye and said, "Thanks."

He smiled and sheepishly looked away.

A loud yawn from Mike broke the comfortable silence. He collapsed backwards onto the floor and rubbed his stomach.

"So.tired." He yawned again.

Wendi looked at her watch,  "Mike is right. It's getting late. We should head home."

Lilith was surprised. The cave looked like it was mid afternoon. It was bright enough to see without any lamps. She looked around to find the source of unknown light.

"It's the moon." Jonathan stated.

"Beg pardon?" Lil asked.

"Right over the pool of water over there is a giant hole in the ceiling that reaches all the way to the outside. Every night, the moon's light shines through it and reflects on the water. Making it seem as if it were still daytime."

Lilith was captivated by the expression in his eyes and the awe in his voice.

"I've never seen anything like this." She breathed as she stood up and walked over to the pool.

She bent down and studied the water. It looked peaceful. No waves, no current. Yet clearly the water had come from somewhere, and yet it was still. Lilith dipped her fingers in the water and created small ripples in her wake. She glanced up at the opening and was fascinated at the moon above. When she looked down at the water again, another reflection stood behind her. It was Jonathan.

He bent down next to her, "I know what you're thinking."

He was so close that their shoulders touched and Lil could only ask, "And what's that?"

"Where does it come from?"

Lilith grinned, "Well it looks like you're a mind reader."

Jonathan gently took Lil's hand, "May I?"