Chapter 51

Miles looks at me before he says, "I think we should finish the assignment later."

"But it's due tomorrow mornin?" I ask, my eyes pleading for an explanation.

"Then you better find another partner." He says, staring at me with dull eyes. My lips part to speak but nothing comes out. He takes a sharp 'U' turn and before I know it, I'm back at WSU.

"Chrissy?" I say, surprised that she's sitting in front of her desk, typing at a similar laptop to mine.

"Are your classes done for the day?" she asks with a raised brow.

"No . . . I skipped." I say with a small smile. She stands up and walks towards me with a smile.

"Me too,"

"Honestly, today has been so hectic, I figured I'd stay in and catch up." She explains and I nod.

"Maybe . . .  we can catch up together?" I ask with a smile to which she returns.

"I'd love that, I've missed you." She says, giving me a tight hug. We sit down at our desks but before I can pull out my laptop Chrissy stops me, "You know. I'm okay with this, I forgive you but . . . Jacob . . . he's super hurt by all of this." The words come out, shattering my heart into pieces.

"I . . . I need to go talk to him." I say, my voice low. Chrissy nods with worried eyes. I stand up and smile at her, hurrying out the door. I look down to text Jacob, letting him know I'm coming but before I can send the text I bump into something—someone.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," I say, looking up only to see Miles staring right at me.

"I have to go," I say before he can respond through his smirk.

"Actually," he says, grabbing my hand as I try to escape.

"I came to see you . . . to apologize." The words hit me like a brick. Miles apologizing for something and especially to me was the last thing I expected.

"Actually, I need to leave," I say harsher than intended before loosening my hand from his grip and walking away, not looking back. I'm even more surprised at my words but I need to see Jacob. I almost forgot about him after he dropped me off. My mind has been occupied with Chrissy and how much I hurt her that I haven't gotten the chance to think about anything else.

"Madison!" I hear Miles's voice yell across the hall as I knock on Jacob's door. A few girls stand there, watching his every move. I ignore Miles and instead look at Jacob who appears out of the door with a smile on his face. Miles approaches closer and I'm a little scared that he'll hurt Jacob.

"Madison." He says, his eyes ominous as they look into mine. His face remains expressionless as I look at him with parted lips. I glance over at Jacob who looks furious.

"What Miles?" Jacob asks harshly.

"Madison and I were just thinking of inviting you to the party tomorrow night," Miles explains with a smirk as he rests his hand on my shoulder but I quickly brush it off me.

"is that true?" Jacob looks at me with confusion and a little sadness.

"No, I—"

"Sure is." Miles smirks.

"Great! Madison and I will see you there, isn't that right babe?" Jacob smiles and I nod.

"Sure will," I say, looking at Miles with amusement. Jacob pulls me inside by my hand before harshly slamming the door in Miles's face. We walk slowly over to his bed before sitting down.

"How are you feeling?" I ask

"I've been better." He chuckles.

"I'm sorry, I really am," I say, resting my hand on his bu he quickly moves it as if it burned his skin.

"I'm sorry," He says.

"I just don't know how to feel." He admits and I nod.

"I know and I wish I could do something—anything to fix this," I say, looking at his pink eyelids.

"I wish you could." He states before our eyes meet.

"What happens now?" he asks but I shake my head.

"I don't know," I admit with tears forming. My eyes feel glossy and I can barely keep my emotions behind them.

"Please don't cry." He says.

"I did enough of that last night and it didn't help." He sighs and I feel even worse.

"Miles . . . he isn't this dream you want to think he is. He uses girls all the time, he uses them like he used you." Jacob says and I feel disgusted.

"He didn't . .  . use me, I—" I stop myself before I hurt him even more.

He clenches his jaw and balls his fists.

"You wanted it." He says and I bite at my lips, trying not to cry.

"I'm sorry Jacob, but I can't take it back, even if I wanted to."

"That's the thing . . . you don't want to." He says with an extra emphasis on 'don't'

"You don't want to take any of it back." He says with a harsh sigh.

"You liked it, you fucking liked him touching you . . .  you liked him being . . . him touching you like that, I—" He says, standing up. He squints his eyes as he shakes his head, confused at his own words.

"You were the only girl I took seriously, I brought you home to my parents, and—" he stops himself again. I scan his face but all I see is confusion and frustration.

"And you . . ." he chuckles with a sigh before finishing, "You let him fuck you just like that." He says in disbelief, his eyebrows are raised as he gives me another head shake. I almost don't notice the cussing, seeing Jacob so hurt like this, and realizing how much he cared about me hurts more than I expected.

"I know,"  stand up with him.

"And I'm sorry, I am, but there's nothing I can do, Jacob," I say, a few tears streaming down my face. To my surprise, he takes my hands in his.

"I just thought you liked me too." He says.

"I did . . . I do—I still do." I say desperate.

"No you don't Maddie," He says with a small smile.

"But I'll fight for you until you realize he's not the prince you're hoping for, I'll fight and I'll fight hard until you see it with your own eyes. He doesn't deserve you and deep down you know it too."

"You don't have to fight Jacob, I'm . . . Miles and I would never work," I say with tears streaming down my cheek, knowing how much I'm hurting Jacob. The last thing he should be hearing is about Miles.

"Miles and I are polar opposites. He's with Chrissy, and I don't—" I stop at his head shake.

"He's not with Chrissy. They broke up as soon as they got back." He says and my heart drops into my stomach.