' wait, wait... Three days? You've only be mermaids for three days?! ' she thinks to Rikki, her eyes wide in astonishment.

' yeah, why... How long have you been a mermaid? ' Rikki asks furrowing her eyebrows as Mirabelle looks like she's been electrocuted by her own self.

' oh, not that long, about eight... ' she trails off.

' weeks? ' Rikki fills in. Mirabelle shakes her head no.

' months? ' Rikki tries again, her eyes growing weary. Mirabelle again denies.

Rikki takes a deep breath, her eyes going wide. ' bloody barnacle.. years? ' she asks disbelievingly.

Mirabelle smiles sheepishly.

' well, shit. ' Rikki thinks, then leans back against the reef, looking straight ahead. She uses her left hand to push back a mass of blonde hair with red streaks, that was floating into her face.

' yeah.. ' Mirabelle thinks back and mimics her action.

They go silent once again.

' we have to tell Emma and Cleo. ' Rikki thinks to Mirabelle after a while.

Mirabelle turns to face her ' yeah. I know, but how do we go about it? I don't think they'll be as open minded as you are ' she thinks to Rikki, a little nervous at the thought meeting the others.

What if they didn't like her, and decided they didn't need a fourth member in their little group, she would be devastated. She couldn't bear the thought of being alone, not after finding out there were others like her. She was tired of being an outcast and if the others weren't receptive, she was going to keep working at it until they accepted her.

Rikki sighs, the action causing bubbles to form out of her mouth.

' yeah Cleo won't be much of a hassle, but Emma, she's a real bitch to new people, especially if she feels their trying to encroach on her circle. ' Rikki thinks with a slight smirk on her face. She turns to Mirabelle. ' don't worry tho, the trick is to be persistent and let her know you don't need her permission to hang out with us, cause honestly, you don't ' she adds.

' but I don't want her to feel like I'm forcing myself on you guys. I just want to finally hang out with people whom I don't feel out of place with... Atleast not completely. ' Mirabelle thinks looking down and absent mindedly picks at a coral on the reef.

' yeah, loose that sorry expression, it makes me wanna choke you ' Rikki says annoyed.

' if you want people to be your friend, or like you, stop giving them a reason to walk all over you. People walk with what they're given. If you seem like a pushover, they'll toss you around like a party on a grill, and ruin whatever self-esteem you have left. If you come off as overconfident, they'll never be real with you, you'll basically be surrounded by fakers who only want to exploit you. Just maintain a balanced approach and be yourself, no matter who you come across, that way they'll know what they're up against and fine tune themselves to be around you. Oh, and quit running from people, it makes it seem like you're the one at fault or you're afraid of them, it's just pathetic. ' Rikki finishes with a breath.

Mirabelle raises her head instantly at the last statement, and finds Rikki staring at her with a knowing expression.

' you're referring to Darren aren't you. ' she thinks back, knowing it best not to play a fool with Rikki.

' is that his name? ' Rikki responds smirking with an eyebrow raised.

' yeah.. but it's not what you're thinking, I wasn't running or hiding. I was just avoiding an other wise catastrophic encounter is all ' Mirabelle thinks blushing.

' look, I don't know what's going on between you and lover boy, but the run, the angrier he's gonna get. I don't know him, but I can tell him being angry is not good for anyone '

Mirabelle goes to say to something but Rikki holds her hands up stopping her
' yeah, I'm not interested, we have more matters to attend to. By now Emma and Cleo will be done with whatever after school activities, so we can go meet them. ' she thinks to Mirabelle and swims off at top speed towards the ocean bank leaving a load of bubbles in her wake, and crowding mirabelle's face.

When Mirabelle can finally see again, Rikki is nowhere in sight, and so she takes her cue and turbo swims in Rikki's direction. When she gets to land, behind the rocks, she sees Rikki already dry and waiting for her, with an impatient look on her face.

" Took you long enough, I thought you got lost or eating by that hammerhead " Rikki says.

" Come on out now, we have things to do " she adds.

Mirabelle looks at her with a small smile. So this is what it was like to have a friend, she could for sure get used to it. She climbs out and looks at Rikki's retreating form.

" Um... A little help here, I would to sun dry, but we're kind of on a time crunch" she says loud enough for Rikki to hear.

Rikki stops and turns around, she comes towards her with a bored expression.

" I feel y'all are becoming too dependent on my powers to get back to human form " she says as dries Mirabelle's tail.

" Thank you " Mirabelle says and stands up.

" Whatever, let's go " Rikki says with a sigh and a wave of her hand.

They both pick up their bicycles and ride off.

# # # #

Hola lovelyz 🥰

I have updated again, by popular demand.

Thank you all so much for the 4k reads, y'all are amazing!

Now, Rikki was pretty chill about the situation, I wonder how the others will be.. oh well, read the next chapter, to find out.

Please vote, and comment.

Song Suggestion: Pretty Savage by Blackpink ❤️

Till next time

Luwiza out ✌️