Chapter 7: Always by your side

"What are you talking about Lou?" Zayn asked. "I'll do it. I'll adopt Mackenzie. She needs me and I need her." I said. They were now all smiles. "Im so glad you agreed this will be great for the both of you." Niall said. 

 I just laid my head on the table waiting for the guys to finish eating not wanting to go back upstairs. Liam said we would stop by the orphanage to tell Sally when they were done. They were talking about some game going on later that I was not really interested in with how I was feeling. 

 "Are you ready Lou?" Harry asked giving my shoulder a nudge. I picked my head up to see the table was cleaned off and all the guys were standing by the door. I guess I fell asleep on the table. I went over to them and put my shoes on that were by the door. We all went out to the car and got in our normal spots. Liam seemed to know where he was going so after about 15 minuets we were parked in front of this little run down building. 

         I got out of the car and almost fell because I got a dizzy rush. luckily Niall was there to catch me. "Are you okay?" he asked. I stood there for a second and nodded.

         We all made our way inside to see Sally chasing a toddler little boy. She saw us and let the boy run off. 

         "Hey guys what are you doing here?" Sally asked dusting her hands off on her pants. 

         "I want to adopt Mackenzie. I know the state wouldn't allow donations but I want to make her mine to help her get better." I said.

          Sally was quiet for a while."Are you serious?" She asked. "You're going to save her life. Mackenzie is going to live." she had the biggest grin on her face. "I have been praying so hard that by some act of God she would survive and here you are! Thank you so much!" she hugged me then hugged all of the other boys. 

         "Can I go see her?" I asked. "Of course she is down the hall last room on the right. I'll start explaining some stuff to the rest of you." Sally said motioning the rest of the guys to another room. 

         I walked down hallway and lightly knocked on a door that said Mackenzie on it. I walked in to see Mackenzie lying on the bed facing the other direction. 

         "Aunt Sally I told you I don't want food." she mumbled weakly. "come on not even one bite." I silently chuckled.  She slowly got up and turned around and her face lit up when she saw me. "Louis! I missed you so much." She weakly threw her arms around me and cried into my shoulder. "Why are you crying love this is happy right?" 

         "I thought I would never see you again." she said looking down. "Well now you will be seeing a lot of me." I smiled down at her. "Why? Am I going to be starting chemo again?" she asked. Confused. "yes. Mackenzie I have to ask you something." I said. She crossed her legs giving me more room to sit. "what do you want to know?" "How would you feel about becoming Mackenzie Tomlinson?" I asked. 

         "Are....are you serious?" She asked smiling from ear to ear. "Mackenzie you are going to be my new daughter. I am going to make sure you get better and I will be by your side every step of the way. We are getting through this together." I said. She leaned forward and gave me a really tight hug. I tightly hugged her back. "You are going to be the best dad ever." she smiled at me. "And you are going to be the best daughter ever." I kissed her head and she leaned into my chest. About a minuet later Mackenzie shot up and ran out of the room. I followed her to the bathroom and saw her hunched over the toilette throwing up. I leaned next to her and rubbed her back. "You don't have to do this it's icky." she whined relaxing her head on the tub next to her. 

         "remember what I said. I'll be by your side every step of the way." I flushed the toilette and picked Mackenzie up and sat her down on the counter. I grabbed the brush with her name on it and put some toothpaste on it. She knew what I was doing so she weakly opened her mouth. I gently brushed all around and on her tongue. Then she spit it out in the sink when I told her to.

          When I was done I picked up Mackenzie and put her on my hip. She rested her head  on my shoulder and started drooping her eyes. I went back to her room and laid her down on her bed tucking her in to her yellow fluffy blanket from the hospital. I silently walked out of the room and closed the door behind me after turning the lights off. 

         I went into the room that Sally and the guys were in and sat on the couch next to Harry. "Hey Louis we were just talking about her medical information. I'll give you the full run down now that you are here." Sally said. 

         "Okay so first off you can't take Mackenzie home till tomorrow night to give you both time to recuperate. You both have the same treatment schedule so that wont be a problem. After chemo she doesn't feel very well and hardy eats but besides that her favorite food is pineapple pizza and she would eat that everyday for a week if she had a choice." sally chuckled. "Mackenzie also likes the color pink and Taylor Swift. Oh and that blanket is one her parents gave her before they died and she knows that so please don't ever loose it." I nodded. "Thats all I can think of right now but I will give you a complete list tomorrow." she said getting up. We got up too and gave her a hug. "Thank you so much for letting me do this." I said as she walked us to the door. "No thank you Louis you saved her life." She smiled. 

         We all got back in the car and headed home. The guys were discussing where Mackenzie would be sleeping and the stuff they were going to go get for her since I wasn't allowed to be out in the public yet with all the germs. I had a huge headache again so once we got home I took my night pills and went straight to bed.