CHAPTER 35 : MESSENGERS OF DEATH

He lighted a cigarette.

The night was still young. The atmosphere was hot and humid. Sweat beads filled on his entire forehead. He looked into the infinite darkness of the sky. Stars were shining dim and gloomy. He couldn't say why. He was trying to find two brightest stars in the endless blackness above. His dad and mom! They would be satisfied, he knows. Their children have started the war to avenge them. He wanted to know why they were killed. Two of his victims didn't say that and they have mentioned the third one, could be the chief conspirator. It has something to do with politics, he thinks so. Is there something else? He has to find that. He exhaled puffs of smoke into the air.

A young man came to him and politely asked. "Do you have any extra cigarettes?"

"Might not be your brand." He hesitated for a moment. He looked at the guy. He was in his thirties, an elegant looking person. He had bright eyes, wheatish skin and a straight cut jaw. He was almost same height as Shivdas. He wore a cream colour cotton formals and ash grey trousers and black shoes. White collar guy! Shivdas knew these high professional boys smoked expensive cigarettes available in the market.

"An occasional change of brand won't kill you, will it?" He desperately needed to smoke, the brand was of irrelevance.

"Smoking kills. That's the official warning. Haven't you heard the famous saying, your lungs are like sponges..." Shivdas thought of the advertisement.

"Blah blah. And who cares? I am sure whoever lend that voice would have smoked after that." The young man mocked at the commercial. "Whenever I see that commercial I feel the urge to smoke increasing."

"I don't believe that." He offered a cigarette to the young man, smiling.

"We all live to die." The young man took out a cigarette from the packet.

"Death is a blessing you say, eh. What is your name?"

"It is the fucking truth. No one can deny that. Whether I smoke or not I would die." He said while lighting his cigarette.

"You didn't say your name?"

"Peter." The young man said while he exhaled a heavy puff of smoke.

"So Peter what do you know about death? Have you ever seen someone dying?"

"No. has you?"

"Yes. And I must say it is not pretty."

"I agree with you. I lied, I have seen enough deaths. But, is it really death they are afraid of?" peter liked the conversation.

"I guess so. What do you think?"

"Pain and loss. Not only oneself but also of his loved ones."

"Death is the pain and loss."

And everyone fears it." Peter stated.

"Everyone fears what they don't understand. Don't you fear death?"

"I do. No one could escape it, right? What about you, aren't you afraid?" Peter found his new friend amusing.

"Right. How can I ignore the only truth? Religions say god is the truth. But for me there is no other truth than death. The primal fear."

"What's your name my friend?"

"Shivdas."

"Shiva das, servant of Lord Shiva. And Shiva is the god of destruction."

Shivdas smirked. "You could say that."

"So you are the servant of the god of destruction." Peter chuckled. "I hope you help him in destruction too."