CHAPTER 26 : POSTMORTEM REPORT

You are under arrest for murdering Minister Ouseph Valookkaran.

Diana stood stunned for a moment. What did I just hear? Rudra murdered dad, why? After a moment the truth struck her. Dad is dead. An unexpected paralysis filled her. She leaned on to the wall next to her.

It could be a mistake. Few drops of tears rolled down her cheeks.

Her dad, her hero, her mentor is no more. He has been killed. And the killer is the second person she loves most in this world. Did Rudra called me to indirectly to inform my dad's death? She thought it could be. He couldn't say it and that's why he told me to come home urgently. But if he killed dad then how could he call me? Something was not right. She could feel that. She couldn't believe her love would do anything so drastic.

Then suddenly her mobile vibrated with an incoming notification. She looked at the mobile to see a new update from Way2News, an online news platform. As she read the headline she almost collapsed to the floor. She sat there and struggled to control her tears. Her phone pinged with more notifications from other news channels too.

Her roommate Athira just happened to pass by and saw Diana sitting on the floor and balled herself. She came running towards her friend. "D what happened?" then she saw she was sobbing uncontrollably. "Why are you crying?"

Athira crouched down on her knees, kept her hands on her shoulders to comfort her.

Diana uttered the words in between sobbing. "Dad..."

Athira took the mobile phone from her hands and saw the headlines in the notification. She clicked on it.

Minister Ouseph has been found murdered on top a building which was to be flattened down in two days. His body was found earlier in the day. He was fifty five. More details waited.

She sat besides her not knowing how to comfort her. Diana sniffled and sobbed without stopping. She breathed frantically.

They were inside the hostel building. Soon the inmates gathered around them. They all stood not knowing what to do. They informed the lady-in-charge and they helped her to her room.

After half an hour a white Toyota Prado halted in front of the porch. Three people came out of the car. Ouseph's cousin George and his wife Rosy walked in front followed by their son, Solomon.

Rosy went inside Diana's room and met her. She was still whimpering. She still wanted to believe that her father was alive and her lover was innocent.

"Let's go home." Rosy told Diana.

"Aunty... dad..." she couldn't complete her words. Her muffled cries muted the words.

Rosy helped Diana on her feet and walked her towards the car. Athira packed a small duffle bag with Diana's clothes and other essentials and carried it towards the car. She handed over the bag to Solomon. "Diana's dress." She muttered.

He took the bag and put it in the back seat.

"We are taking her to Kerala by the evening flight." George told the matron.

Everyone watched her with tear filled eyes.

*-*

"Madam, the post mortem report is ready." Doctor Sanju informed the Additional Commissioner through his mobile phone.

"I need a copy immediately." Shivadha's tone was sharp.

"Sure madam, I will fax you soon."

"Send copies to the Chief Minister's office, Home Minister and the Director General of Police."