Satisfied (Mergana and Unrequited Merthur)

*I love Merthur, but I love Hamilton and hate myself, so time for me to suffer*

The chatter stopped when Gwaine stood up, grinning.

"All right, all right," he exclaimed. "That's what I'm talking about! Now, everyone give it up for the best man, Arthur Pendragon!"

The said man stood up with his glass, a tight smile on his face.

"A toast to the groom!"

"To the groom, to the groom," voices echoed.

"To the bride!" Arthur continued.

"To the bride, to the bride," voices echoed.

"From you brother," Arthur went on ignoring the "Arthur"s in the background. "Who is always by your side. To your union. To the union! To the revolution! And the hope that you provide. May you always, be satisfied."

Arthur sighed before continuing.

"I remember that night, I just might regret that night for the rest of my days," his smile began to slip. I remember those soldier boys tripping themselves to win our praise. I remember that dreamlike candlelight, like a dream that you can't quite place. But Merlin, I'll never forget the first time I saw your face. I have never been the same, intelligent eyes in a hunger-pang frame. And when you said 'hi' I forgot my dang name, set my heart aflame, ev'ry part aflame, this is nto a game."

"'You strike me as a man who has never been satisfied'," Merlin had told him.

"'I'm sure I don't know what you mean'," Arthur had replied. "'You forget yourself'."

"'You're like me, I'm never satisfied'."

"'Is that right'?" 

"'I have never been satisfied'." 

"'My name is Arthur Pendragon'."

"'Merlin Emrys'."

"'Where's your family from'?"

"'Unimportant, there's a million things I haven't done. Just you wait, just you wait'."

So this is what it feels like to match wits, Arthur had thought. With someone at your level! What the hel is the catch? It's the feeling of freedom, of seeing the light. It's Ben Franklin with a key and a kite. You see it, right?

"The conversation lasted two minutes, maybe three minutes," Arthur continued. "Everything we said in total agreement! It's a dream and it's a bit of a dance. A bit of a posture, it's a bit of a stance. He's a bit of a flirt, but I'mma give him a chance. I asked about his fam'ly, did you see his answer? His hands started fidgeting, he looked askance. He's penniless, he's flying by the seat of his pants. Handsome, bot does he know it. Peach fuzz and he can't even grow it. I wanna tak him far away from this place, then I turned and see my sister's face and she is..."

"Helpless," Morgana sighed.

"And her eyes are just..."

"Helpless."

"And I realize," Arthur sighed. "Three fundamental truths at the exact same time."

"'Where are you taking me'?" Merlin had asked.

"'I'm about to change your life'," Arthur had replied.

"'Then by all means, lead the way'."

"Number one," Arthur gritted his teeth. "I'm a boy in a world in which my only job is to marry rich. My father has no more sons so I'm the one who has to social climb for one. So I'm the oldest and the wittiest and the gossip in New York City is insidious. And Merlin is penniless, ha, that doesn't mean I want him any less."

"'Morgana Pendragon'," Morgana had introduced herself. "'It's a pleasure to meet you'."

"'Pendragon'?" Merlin had asked.

"'My sister'." Arthur had replied.

"Number two," Arthur continued. "He's after me because I'm a Pendragon, that elevates his status, I'd have to be naive to set that aside. Maybe that is why I introduce him to Morgana, not that's his bride. Nice going Arthur, he was right, you will never be satisfied."

"'Thank you for all your service'," Morgana had thanked.

"'If it takes fighting a war for us to meet, it will have been worth it'," Merlin had replied.

"'I'll leave you to it'," Arthur had said.

"Number three," Arthur barely got out. "I know my sister like I know my own mind, you will never find anyone as trusting or as kind. If I tell her that I love him she'd  be silently resigned. He'd be mine. She would say 'I'm fine.' She'd be lying. But when I fantasize at night, it's Merlin's eyes, as I romanticize what might have been if I hadn't sized him up so quickly. At least my dear Morgana's his wife, at least I keep his eyes in my life."

Arthur raised his glass higher, ignoring the tears in his eyes.

"To the groom!"

"To the groom, to the groom, to the groom!" voices answered.

"To the bride," Arthur choked out.

"To the bride, to the bride, to the bride!"

"From your brother..."

"Arthur, Arthur, Arthur!"

"Who's always by your side! To your union!"

"To the union! To the revolution!"

"And the hope that you provide! May you alwyas, be satisfied. And I know, she'll be happy by your side. And I know," Arthur quietly sat down, tears still falling. "He will never be satisfied. I will never be satisfied..."