Lullaby

*Saw this idea on Deviantart, and decided to write a story about it. I just can't seem to find the comic strip again so i can't give the proper artist credit. :(*

Morgana sighed as she slid down her chair. Beside her, Mordred as poking at his food, annoyed. Gwaine and Percival were kept looking at each other, mouthing playful insults. Elyan was trying as best as he could to keep his eyes open, while next to him, Leon, was doing the same. Lancelot was having a quiet conversation with Nila, both of them equally bored. Freya and Merlin were standing side by side, trying not to let the pitchers of wine slip from their hands. Gwen was looking at Arthur, making sure that her husband didn't fall asleep. 

Just yesterday, King Milnon from the kingdom of Oran had arrived to make peace between the two kingdoms. After Milnon and Arthur had signed the peace treaty, they were rewarded by Milnon's daughter, Carnila, who sang for them. Even though Carnila was very beautiful and extremely kind, her singing was horrendous. 

Finally, Carnila finished singing, and everyone clapped respectively. Carnila sat down and smiled wearily knowing that she wasn't a good singer at all. After the clapping died down, Arthur stood up and began to address everyone.

"Thank you, Princess Carnila, for your wonderful singing," Arthur began. "It's only fair to repay your kindness with one of our own singers."

Everyone from Camelot looked at their king wearily. They knew that no one could sing. At least, that's what they thought until Freya spoke up.

"Sire, I think that Merlin will be able to sing for our guests," Freya spoke up.

No one said anything, except for a snicker that came from Mordred. Finally, Arthur responded.

"Yes, I think that that's an excellent idea, Freya," Arthur said, a small smile creeping up his face. He turned to Merlin. "Come now, Merlin. You don't want to keep our lovely guests waiting now, do we?"

"Of course not, Sire," Merlin replied, giving him a small smile.

Shooting Freya a glare, he placed the pitcher of wine next to Leon, and made his way to the center of the banquet hall. Arthur smirked at Merlin as the warlock cleared his throat. Earning a nod from Arthur to begin, Merlin opened his mouth and began to sing. 

Arthur's smirk vanished and was soon replaced with a look of shock. Gwen, Morgana, and Nila all had their mouths covered with their hands. Mordred's mouth hung open, and so did Leon's and Lancelot's. Elyan was looking at Merlin as if he never even knew who he was. Gwaine and Percival were looking at each other, their eyes wide with surprise. Freya just stood there, a knowing smirk on her face. When Merlin finished, the hall was dead silent.

The silence didn't hold for long as the hall erupted into clapping and whistling. Multiple complements and questions.

"That was amazing, Merlin!"

"You really put me to shame!"

"No wonder you've got a girl!"

"How did you learn to sing like that?"

"You need to teach me!"

"How come you never sang before?"

Merlin smiled like an idiot as he answered the questions and thanked the complements. Something soon caught his eye, and he frowned. Arthur had disappeared.

Excusing himself, Merlin slipped out of the hall and ran down the hallways, looking for his friend. He ran passed the hall where Uther lay, but soon stopped. He pressed his ear against the door and heard soft crying. Worriedly, he opened the door, and saw Arthur leaning over Uther's coffin. As Merlin approached, he saw that Arthur was not looking his best. One of his hands was gripping the side of Uther's coffin, clenched so tightly that his knuckles were turning white. His other hand was clasped tightly over his eyes, tears flowing over it and down his cheeks. His frown deepening, Merlin walked over to his friend, and tapped his shoulder.

"Arth-"

Merlin didn't get a chance to finish as Arthur whirled around and grasped Merlin tightly in a hug. Merlin's shock soon subsided as he hugged his friend back. They stayed like this for a while before Arthur finally sniffed and let go of Merlin. His watery blue eyes met with Merlin's blue eyes that were full of concern. 

"Arthur, what's wrong?" Merlin finally asked, placing a hand on Arthur's shoulder.

"Y-Your song, Merlin," Arthur finally answered, taking large gulps of air. "It was the same lullaby that my mother sang to me before she died. My father then sang it for me until I was twelve. It reminded me of them."

"Arthur, I'm sorry," Merlin apologized, looking down.

"Why?" Arthur asked, looking at his friend in confusion.

"If I knew," Merlin began, looking up. "Then I-"

"It's alright, Merlin," Arthur replied, giving him a watery smile. "It's alright."

Both men then sighed deeply and stood there in silence. Arthur then turned back to Uther's coffin and placed a hand on it. 

"I miss you father," Arthur said, letting another tear slip from his eye. "I miss you too, mother. I-I wish that I had more time with both of you."

He stood there for a while before he straightened up, and turned towards Merlin.

"Arthur?" Merlin asked.

"I'm okay now," Arthur replied,nodding his head. Then, he perked up. "I never knew you could sing."

"Yes, well, I have many talents," Merlin smirked. "You've failed to notice them, that's all."

"Like your sorcery?" Arthur smirked back playfully.

"Exactly."

Arthur let out a laugh that filled the room with happiness, and Merlin let out a little chuckle of his own. Merlin then suddenly stopped, and Arthur soon followed. 

"Come on, Arthur," Merlin said, smiling at the king. "It's rude to keep your guests waiting."

Arthur smiled back, and soon the two of them were running down the hallways, back to the banquet hall, where the guests still stood, waiting for them to arrive.