Chapter 6

December 16

"Guys it's almost ten am we should get going." Layla said.
"I'm almost finished okay. I just need to pack some things for school." I looked over to my sisters both of them were ready wearing shoes and their winter jackets.
"I wanna see Tay and Selly." Maya said making me laugh. "You don't even know if they will be there." But I finished packing my bag. All the school stuff I might need. As I still had to work on some projects.
"I'm ready let's get going." I smiled and put on my shoes.
"Lexi here's your jacket." Maya brought me my jacket. "Thank you so much Maya." I put the jacket on. For the current temperatures it was way to thin but it was better than nothing.
"Let's go."
We left our room and walked down the stairs. The TV was playing so our parents probably came home a little time ago.
"You two go out quick." I said and pushed them out of the view from my parents.
"Where are you going?" My mother got up. Maya and Layla were almost outside now.
"To the park Ma'am." I answered quickly. "And who do you think gave you permission? Do you even think about what we go through to feed you? You're so ungrateful."
In my head I commented that I was paying for our food. The only thing they paid for with the money our grandparents left behind for our education was for the house, the water and sometimes the heat and electronic fees. But not always.
I took a few steps back.
My mother followed me.
"You're an ungrateful bitch." She slapped me accross the fast.
"Now leave. I don't want to see you again today." My cheek was burning I just hope that there would be no mark later on.
"Let's go guys." Maya immediately started walking.
"Are you hurt Lex?" Layla looked at me. "It's fine Lay. Nothing I can't handle." "But your cheek is red. Maybe we should ice it or something." "Lay it'll be fine. I'll go to the public bathroom when we arrive at the park and take a look at it. Okay?" She sighed and nodded.
"I love you Lex" I smiled at my younger sister. "I love you too."
When we arrived at the park I told them to go to the playground already. "I'll come after I used the bathroom." Layla smiled at me and Maya started running towards the playground. I just shook my head at them and smiled. Inside the public bathrooms I looked at my face in the mirror. My right cheek was a little red. There was no imprint from a hand but red.
I put some cold water on a paper towel before pressing it against my cheek in the hope of that it would help with the swelling and the redness.
When I left the bathroom ten minutes later my cheek was still red but not as bad as before. I looked flushed or maybe cold but not like I had received a slap a few minutes ago.
As I entered the playground I looked for my sisters but couldn't see them.
Maya was at the swings usually but noone was there. Neither at the climbing wall.
My heart started racing. Where were my sisters?
"Maya?Layla? Where are you?" I ran around the playground and than around the park calling out their names. My breath was rapid. Not only because of the running but also because I was panicking.
"Layla?! Maya?! Come on guys it's not funny?" My eyes teared up and my hands started shaking.
"Alex?" I turned around and saw Taylor running towards me.
"Alex breathe. Everything's alright." I shook my head frantically. "No Layla and Maya are gone. I need to find them. What if someone took them?" My voice cracked.
"Alex it's alright. They are fine. Selena and I saw them running around. So we asked where you are. Don't worry they are fine. They just wanted to play tag again. Selena is with them. I'll bring you there just take a breath first, darlin." I looked at her and felt relieved.
"They are fine?" My voice sounded shaky when I asked her.
"Yes they are completely fine. Come I'll take you to them." She held her hand out for me and as much as I didn't want to take it I felt shaky and scared so I took it.
Together we walked to the other end of the park where I could see a small brunette and two girls running around.
As soon as we reached them Maya ran up to us. "Play with us yes?" I just crouched down and hugged her. My hands played with her hair and pulled her even closer. I felt tears rolling down my cheeks.
Layla looked at me. "What's going on Alex?"
I stood up and let Maya go. "Never do this again. When we say we meet at the playground you stay there till I am back. Do you have any idea how worried I was?" I wanted to sound mad but I couldn't. I was way to shaky for this.
Layla looked down."I am sorry. Alex it won't happen again." I nodded and pulled her in a hug as well.
"I thought I lost you." I whispered in her ear as I held her. "You'll never lose us." She whispered back.
I let go of her and smiled at her.
"Go back to playing I'll join you in a few but I need a few seconds." Maya and Layla nodded and looked at Selena and Taylor. "Will you play with us?" Selena nodded but Taylor shook her head. "I'll talk to your sister for a bit if that's alright with you guys." They nodded and ran off after tagging Selena.
"There's a bench. Let's sit down for a bit." Taylor said and gently guided me over to the bench.
"Thanks for looking for me." I mumbled still looking at my hands.
"It's alright. They said they just went here without telling you. I figured you would look for them."
"Still thank you." I looked up and gave her a smile.
For a few minutes we sat in silence I was collecting my thoughts while Taylor watched my sisters and her friend play tag.
Than she looked at me.
"Are you better now? When I found you seemed really anxious and panicky you good now that you now they are safe?"
"Yeah. I was so scared when I couldn't find them."
"But now you're alright?" I nodded. "A little shaken up but in a few minutes I'll be back to normal." I gave her a smile.
"Do you think a hug would help?" She grinned at me and opened her arms. I started to laugh but scooted closer to her and let her hold me close for a little bit. I didn't get hugs from many people in my life but being hugged by some taller than yourself, maybe it was also just because she was Taylor, was really relaxing.
She let go of me. "I'm just glad you're fine love." She said before pressing a kiss on the top of my head.
I smiled at her. Being around and Selena made me feel so safe and loved but I know that I shouldn't get too used to it. It's a feeling that I would crave as soon as they would leave me.
"Can I ask you something darling?" I nodded.
"If your not comfortable answering than you don't have to. I don't want you to be uncomfortable. But yesterday you almost passed out. I just want to know if you eat something before we meet you in the park or if you didn't eat the whole day."
I sighed and looked down at my hands.
"I really don't want to talk about. It's complicated." She nodded. "Alright but if you at some point want to talk about it you can always come to me or Selena okay? We both want you to be safe and happy that's all we want." She gave me a sad smile before she gave my right hand a squeez and got up.
"Let's go play with the others." I smiled at her and got up as well.
For the rest of the day we were at the park. Playing tag or hide and seek, taking and just having fun. As I had already planned that we wouldn't be home for lunch I brought my money and we ate sandwiches from a place nearby before going back to playing.
Right now it was around five pm and the sun started going down. We had to go home soon but on the other hand our mother had told us not to come back when she's home and they would be home until at least 10pm.
"It's getting dark we should bring you home." Selena said after we had finished another round of hide and seek.
It was freezing all of our faces were red and I had started shaking a while ago, but going home now wasn't safe. So I just checked my pockets as if I was looking for a key.
"Damn. I forgot the key." I said loud enough for the others to hear me.
"Aren't your parents home? They'll let you in." I shook my head. "No they are out of town till later." Layla, who seemed to understand what was going on, answered for me. Taylor had lifted Maya up who had started to look really sleepy.
"They said they'd be home around ten pm." I added.
"But you can't stay out here till then it's dangerous. It will get even colder and you aren't dressed for those temperatures especially you sunshine." Selena looked at me. "Maybe we can ask the neighbors to stay there for a bit." I said. "I'll figure something out while we walk home."
Taylor rolled her eyes and scoffed. "As if we let you go home now. In the dark when you don't even now where you'll stay till your parents come home. Alex I'll give you my phone you'll call your parents and tell them what's going on."
I nodded and took the phone while Selena had started talking to Layla.
"Have you ever stayed you neighbors?" But before she could answer Maya shook her head. "No they just moved in." "Alex while you call ask them if you can stay with us for the night. You're not staying with people you don't know." She said.
I sighed and walked abit away.
The only number I knew was the number of my best friend I had memorized it a while ago after he moved away. He knew what was going on at home.
So I called him.
"Hey dad!" "Uhm Lexi you know that you called me Jason, right?" "Yeah I'm sorry to bother you I know you're on your way home." "Okay what's going on?" "I forgot my keys at home. So we can't go back. Yeah you got the that right we can't go back." "Okay so home is not safe I got that. But why are you calling? I live over 6 hours away." "We met some friends at the park. I told you about them Selena and Taylor. They offered for us to stay at theirs for the night, is that alright?"
"I guess. Why are you calling me?"
While Jason was talking Selena gave me wave to come over. "I want to talk to him I'll give him my number so he can call if somethings up." I nodded.
"Hey dad. Selena wants to talk to you okay? Yeah they are alright with us staying with them."
"Oh you need me to play your dad. Alright wouldn't be the first time." He said and I handed the phone to Selena.
She nodded a few times and smiled than she gave him her number before giving me the phone back.
"Dude you never told me you knew Selena Gomez." Jason said as soon as I got the phone back.
"Yeah I know. Sorry if forgot the keys. But we can stay there?"
"Yes. I talked to her don't worry you'll be fine." "Thank you so much dad. I have to go now. See you tomorrow."
"Bye Lexi."
I hang up and handed Taylor the phone.
Selena was smiling. "I guess we'll have a sleepover."
Maya was asleep in Taylors arms and Layla was shivering. She seemed so cold. "Lay do you want my scarf?" She shook her head. "You're cold too." "I'm fine Lay just take it." She sighed but took it and put it on. I tried to hide how bad I was freezing and how I was shaking.
"Come on let's get to the car." Taylor said and walked in front of us with the sleeping Maya in her arms.
We followed in silence.
I put my arms around me in the hope to get some warmth but no. They were as cold as the rest of my body.
Luckily they had parked right outside the park so we walked like three minutes.
"Alex I think you should sit in the passenger seat. It has a seat heater." Taylor said while putting Maya in the bag seat behind the driver.
"No I'm alright. I can sit in the back." "Sunshine you are shaking because you're so cold." Selena had opened the drivers door and sat down. Taylor climbed into the middle seat in the back.
"Now sit down." Taylor said with a smile.
I quickly got in the car and buckeld my seatbelt.
As soon as we started driving Selena pressed a button and a few minutes later I could feel the seat heating up. Now I felt how cold I was and I couldn't hide the shaking anymore.
"You should take a hot shower when we get home. And I'll give you a pullover of mine." Selena said with a sad smile.
"Why are you dressed so thin? It's really cold you know." Taylor said from the backseat.
I stayed silent. "Sunshine we only want to help." Selena said and reached over the middle console to squeeze my ice cold hand.
"I don't have an other jacket." I mumbled and looked down. I could see them exchange a glance through the mirror but neither of them said something.
"Can we listen to your music again?" Layla asked Taylor who started laughing. "Of course we can. Seems like we have a swiftie on our hands." Selena started laughing as well.
A few seconds later music came from the cars boxes. 
We drove twenty minutes before we reached their house. It was beautiful and really big.
"Woahh. It's beautiful." Layla said.
"Thank you darling." Taylor had took Maya up again.
"Let's get you inside." Selena said while putting an arm around my shoulders.
I smiled at her and we entered the house.
It was nice. The walls were painted in warm colors and it was nicely decorated.
"Just put your jackets and shoes in here." Selena said.
"Tay do you want me to hold Maya while you take off your jacket and shoes?" I asked her and she nodded at me.
"Thank you." I took Maya from her and she put her shoes and jacket away.
While she did that I opened Mayas shoes with one hand.
"Need help?" Taylor grinned at me and took Maya's shoes off before opening her jacket and careful not to wake her pulling her arms out.
"I'll take her to the couch. She can sleep there." Taylor said and I handed her my baby sister before finally taking off my own shoes and jacket.
I followed her into an beautiful living room. There were two couches. One L-Shaped and one a little smaller for two or three persons.
"You're house is beautiful." I complemented.
"Thanks sunshine." Selena came into the room, Layla following her, she was carrying a blanket.
Taylor had sat Maya down on the L-Shaped couch and took the blanket from Selena to cover her.
I smiled at the picture of my baby sister laying there sleeping under the nice warm blanket.
"What do you want to do?" Taylor looked at us now.
"Alex should take a warm shower and dress in something a little warmer." Selena answered before I had the chance to say something. "No it's alright I am not really cold anymore." They both looked at me as if to say seriously. I looked down and realized that I still had my arms wrapped around my body to warm myself up.
"Sunshine you don't really get say in this. We don't want you to get sick. I'll borrow the two of you some of my clothes." She said before taking both me and Layla upstairs.
"Okay let's see. Your both around my height so this should be easy." She looked at us.
"Are you taller than Alex, Layla?"  My younger sister nodded while I blushed.
"It's not that much." I grumbled. Making both of them laugh. "Layla here we have a pullover and sweat pants." She handed my sister both items. "And most importantly really fuzzy socks." Layla laughed when Selena threw the socks at her hitting her right in her face.
"There's a bathroom right next door. You can change there."
"Thank you so much Sel." My younger sister gave Selena a hug and kiss on the cheek before leaving the room to get changed.
"I think I have a pullover that is really fuzzy inside. Wait a second I'll look for it." She started to roam her closet and at some point threw sweatpants at me.
"Found it." She handed me the pullover. It was gray with white writing on it. 'I like winter' and snowflakes around it.
"And socks." She handed me the socks as well and smiled.
"Thanks Selena." I smiled at her. "It's alright sunshine. Come on I'll show you to the bathroom and give you a towel."
We entered the bathroom. Layla was probably downstairs already.
"So just take your time. Here's a towel use whatever you want. It's all my stuff I don't care. When your done just come downstairs." She put the towel on one of the counters and I put the clothes next to it.
"Thank you so much." She smiled and gave me a hug. "God you're cold. Go get warmed up sunshine."
She left the bathroom and I sighed.
I undressed and quickly took a shower just long enough to warm myself up a little and I definitely didn't not use any of Selena's products.
I left the shower again dried myself of and put my hair in a turban before getting dressed.
The fuzzy socks were really nice. I had to agree with Selena on that.
I walked downstairs. Maya was still asleep on the couch. Selena was sitting behind Layla braiding her hair into pigtails. But I couldn't see Taylor anywhere.
"Hey Sunshine. You're done already? That was a quick shower." Selena had realized I was in the room.
"Do you want me to braid your hair too?" She said while finishing off Laylas second braid. "She's really good at it Lex. I didn't hurt at all. Not like it does when you do it." "Thanks Layla." I said rolling my eyes. "I can braid my hair it's alright." I gave Selena an answer.
"I didn't ask if you can braid you hair. I asked if you'd want me to do your hair. You know it's nice to have someone do your hair for you every now and than." She held up a brush and two scrunchies. "Uhm if it doesn't bother you. I'd like it." I blushed. I don't think I've had someone do my hair since my granny died.
"I wouldn't have asked if it would bother me. Now come here sunshine."
I walked over and sat down in the floor in front of her. She took the towel of my head.
"You've got so beautiful hair and luckily it's almost dry." She started brushing out my brown hair.
"Tell me something about you."
"What do you want to know?" I asked back.
"Whatever you want to tell me." I could feel her parting my hair into two sections.
"Uhm I'm 17 years old and I'll graduate highschool at the end of the year."
"Really? Did you skip a grade?" "I skipped second grade yes" "That's so awesome. I am proud of you." I blushed a bit at that. "So one braid is done." She put the first scrunchie in and tucked a little on the braid.
"Well what else is there to know about you?" She asked while starting to braid the other side.
"I was named after my Granny. Her name was Mary Alexandra and I got her name." "Are you close to her?" "We were yeah. She died 7 years ago but before that she and our grandpa would came over almost every weekend or we would go over there. She was the best." "I am sorry to hear that." She put the other scrunchie in and pulled me up to sit on the couch with her before pulling me into a hug. "Nice to see that you're all warmed up Alex." Taylor walked back in she was carrying a lot of blankets.
"I got blankets for everyone so we can get cozy later on. But now what you want for dinner?"
"I can cook." I immediately said. "Honey your a guest." "Yeah but you already took is in and let me shower and yesterday you paid for our food. I think I should cook." I started rambling and following Taylor who was walking to the kitchen.
"Alex. It's okay."
"But I don't want you to think that we're ungrateful or lazy. I can make dinner for us. I make dinner almost everyday at home it's completely fine." My rambling continued.
"Alex look at me. You're a child. You shouldn't cook everyday and I won't let you cook when you're my guest. I'm am an adult as an adult it's my job to take care of you and you're sisters."
---------------------------------------------------------
3689 words