Chapter 3

December 14

It's been two days since I last had to work and also three days since me and my sisters had last seen Taylor and Selena.
Lucky for us our parents hadn't been there as often as usually as they were busy spending time in some of the pubs around the town.
As it was Friday afternoon I was currently at work. Maya and Layla were sitting at one of the tables both of them doing something for school.
Maya had to practice her letters and Layla homework for Math and English literature.
It had been two hours of me working when I heard the bell ring. I turned around and saw two women in the door.
Taylor and Selena.
"Hey Sunshine." Selena was the first one to greet me. "Hello Alex." Taylor waved at me.
"Hey Miss" "What did we say about calling me Miss?" She grinned.
"I'm sorry. Hey Taylor. Hey.." I hestiated shortly. "Selena"
She smiled at me.
"How can I help you today guys?"
"Well I'll have a peppermint tea and cheesecake." Taylor ordered. "I'll have the same." Selena smiled.
I nodded and started making the tea.
They stayed at the counter and I tried telling them to sit down at one of the tables.
They just smiled at me. But stayed where they were.
When I had finished there orders I handed the orders to them.
"Thank you sunshine." Selena smiled at me.
"You're welcome." I smiled back at them.
The next client walked up to the counter and I started his order. Today was a really busy day. And constantly people walked in.
Taylor and Selena had sit down with my sisters and were talking to them. I could see Taylor helping Maya with her letters while Selena was helping Layla with English literature.
In the last 30 minutes of my shift it was finally a little calmer.
So I finally had the time to clean up a bit and while I did that I looked over to where my sisters and the two women were sitting.
Apparently my sisters had finished all their homework cause right now the four of them were giggling and having fun. Selena was playing a game with Maya and Taylor was talking to Layla.
I smiled at them. My sisters seemed so innocent and happy.
Taylor must have noticed my look because she looked over to where I was working and waved at me. I smiled at her.
It was nearing 6pm so I was only waiting for my colleague to come in and take over.
And here she came. Angie.
"Alexandra." "Hey Angie." I tried a smile.
"Why didn't you already clean the floors. You probably had enough time for this." She was older than me and everytime she talked to me her tone was harsh and mean.
My sisters had already packed up their stuff. Selena was looking over here. Apparently she had heared what Angie had said and wasn't to happy about it.
"I'm sorry. But it was really busy today." I said.
She just rolled her eyes and went to the back.
"Hey Sunshine. I'd like to pay for us." Selena stood in front of the counter. "And don't worry Taylor is outside with your sisters." I nodded and smiled at her.
"Okay that would be $10.2 for the both of you." She smiled and handed me a twenty dollar bill. "You can keep the change." "Thank you so much." She smiled at me.
"We'll be waiting outside for you and sunshine?" "Yeah?" "Don't listen to this girl." I nodded and smiled.
I got my tips and waited for Angie to come out of the back.
Ten minutes past six were was she. I went to the back and found her talking to someone on the phone.
"Excuse me. Angie." She turned around to look at me an eyebrow raised. I flinched a bit under her gaze. "No wait a minute. My colleague. What?" She spat the word colleague and what almost. "Ähm I need to go now. It's almost a quarter past six." She rolled her eyes.
"Yes. No I have to go now. This stupid girl wants to go now." She hang up and went to the front. Finally.
"Have a nice day Angie."
She didn't acknowledge me so I just went outside to my sisters.
"There you are." Taylor smiled at me, Layla and Maya hugged me.
Selena hestiated but opened her arms to hug me as well. I hestiated to hug a person I don't know that well it scared the crap out of me but she was nice and I could possibly trust her to not hurt me. So I took a step forward and slowly let her pull me into a hug. She held me close for a few seconds before letting me go again. "I want a hug as well." Taylor said and opened her arms for me. I let her embrace me in her hug before I pulled back. Neither of them had hurt me and as it scary as it was I had been safe so maybe we could trust them.
"Should we bring you home? It's pretty dark already. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have the three of you walking alone in the dark. It's not really safe and Maya seems really tired." Taylor said with a giggle as Maya had reached up for her to picked up.
Taylor picked her up and sat her down on her hip. "Are you sleepy princess?" She asked as she played with Maya's hair and bounced her up and down on her hip.
I sighed. "No it's alright. It's only a short walk. No need for you to bring us home. I'll carry you home Maya come here." Taylor handed her to me.
"See you soon." Layla said. "Have a nice evening." I said. They smiled as well. "You too little ones." Taylor gave Maya a kiss on her cheek, which made her giggle.
"See you soon." Selena said with a smile.
The two of them got into a car and waved again.
The three of us started walking home, well actually two of us as Maya was almost asleep in my arms.
It took us only a short few minutes to get home the roads were pretty livly. Buzzing crowds were running all around here.
At your house Layla and I brought Maya upstairs.
"Layla you guys stay here. Watch her alright? I'll make dinner for us." Friday meant peace our parents were never home on the weekends. They would drive out to some 'friends' and come back on Sunday evenings with a really bad hangover. None of us knew what exactly they were doing there but when they came back it was always really dangerous for us as they'd be really grumpy.
In the kitchen I started making dinner. Well pasta as we didn't have any other food in our kitchen. I went back upstairs and brought the food to my sisters.
"This is soooooo good." Maya ate happily while Layla and I ate in more or less silence.
Maya was going on about her day. It was just plainly adorable. She was the cutest girl on this planet.
"Well now that we ate we should bring you to bed." I picked Maya up. Giggling at the fact that she really couldn't surpress a yawn.
---------------------------------------------------------
1233 words