Walking into the girl's change room, I went into my original spot and took out my clothes, waiting for the only bathroom stall to open. I was not going to change in front of the grade eights, even if they are girls and my age. If they notice my ultra thin figure,Salvatore and I would both have lots of explaining to do, which is something we both won't ever look forward to.

I would have to talk about my abuse, and he would have to reassure the authorities that he wasn't the one starving me to death. It would honestly just cause a huge hassle that shouldn't even be needed because my abuser is already dead and six feet under. Actually, I think he was cremated but I honestly didn't know. I didn't bother to know.

"So Amara, what club you going to try-out for?" Elena asked me when I finished changing.

"I think I want to join the Art Club." I answered her, and she gave me a full on grin.

"I knew you would say that." she said brightly, and I chuckled. 

It has only been a week since I've become friends with Elena, but it feels like I've known her for years with the amount of information we share with each other.

For example, I found out that Elena actually came from Ireland and her parents immigrated to America when she was still an infant. Another thing I learned about her is that she had an older brother living in her home country. 

"Anyways, we should get going. I think we'll be learning how to play volleyball today." Elena told me, and laughing with her, we walked out of the change room to see a bunch of volleyballs on racks. It seems as if Elena was right.

"Alright grade eights! Today, we are going to be learning the basic techniques of volleyball. So who hasn't ever played volleyball before?" our teacher asked us, and when no one raised their hand, he let out an audible sigh of relief.

"Good. So, since all of you have played it before, you know the two basic ways of passing the ball to each other right?" 

We all nodded, and he gave us a grin. 

"Great! Who can name me the two?"

"A bump and a volley, Sir." Elena spoked up, and he gave her an acknowledging dip of his head.

"Great! Now, I want all of you to get a volleyball and go in front of a wall. You'll be either bumping, or volleying the ball against the wall for as long as you can."

Taking out a volleyball from the rack, Elena and I found a wall and started practicing side by side. Surprisingly, I had pretty good control over the ball compared to a few other people who couldn't make their ball last three seconds in the air without it falling onto the floor. 

One of those few people was Elena, whose ball literally refused to cooperate with her. Her bumps were off and were shot in random directions, her fingers lacked the strength to do a volley properly, and she wasn't squatting, something very essential in the art of volleyball. 

"Elena." Mister A said, tapping on her shoulder.

"Yes?"

"It seems like you are having trouble keeping your ball in the air." he said lightly, and Elena giggled, not taking his comment to heart. I like that about her.

"Yeah, I know." she sighed dejectedly, "Volleyball was never my sport, but I really do love it."

"I can tell by the way you keep on practicing even if the ball isn't cooperating with you." Mister A laughed, and the both of us laughed with him.