Chapter 30- stumbled

"Could you please give me a hand Harry," Maia emphasised on her please.

"Now I will." Harry chimed in to help Maia as she held 4 boxes, one above the other, therefore blocking her vision.

Lilith and I were inside the rented space, unboxing and arranging all the toys into mini boxes.

Harry came to check on us if we needed help. Jake didn't want to get involved, so he didn't come. Chris was busy with work. As for Ethan, I have no idea where he is.

Think of the devil and here he comes.
Ethan walked in meekly. His eyes travelled across the place, "Nice." He said.

As he looked back at us, Ethan avoided my eyes and, locked his with Maia who came in carrying a few boxes alongside with Harry.

"I just know it when I see something good."

"I doubt that." Harry quickly walked away after passing the comment.

"Are there any more boxes?" Lilith asked.

"Yeah, a few." Maia said.

"I'll get them." Lilith walked away too.

"Uh. I'll just..." Ethan pointed behind him and, just turned around and left.

"Welp? What's going on between you guys?" Maia leaned on the table, confused.

"Nothin'. Nothing at all." I shrugged.

"Hmm." She hummed then looked down at her feet, "My... parents."

My eyebrows quirked, but I listened.

She looked up at me, "It was a Wednesday. I was at school when I got called to the office. Said, someone wanted to talk to me. It was an officer," she laughed, "He told..." she trailed off.
"What did he say?" I asked.
"Funny." She laughed sarcastically, ignoring my question, "I left home, never knowing that... that was the last time I'd ever see my parents." Maia said.

"The police had got a call from my mother. She was panicking, saying that there was someone in the house..." she went deep into thought.

"Nevermind that. All I mean to say is that, cherish the time you have with someone. Because, you won't know when they are walking away from your life permanently."

I looked into her dull eyes, "Maia, Thank you."

After we were done for the day we packed up.

"Here." Lilith passed me the key. "Tomorrow we'll be coming late." She answered to my confusion.

"Oh okay."

Tomorrow was Christmas Eve. So, we had one last day to prepare.

We had made separate boxes for the elders and the children.

Children had a few toys and clothes. While elders had other small necessaties with clothes.

Food would be given on the spot. Everything was ordered from restaurants so there was no preparation to be made.

Well, I sigh and stretch my arms. Time to tell Chris.

I head back to the Inn to find Chris sitting on the couch watching television.

That's actually the first time I saw him relaxed.

"Heyy." I say awkwardly and he turns to look at me.

"What?" He asked, clearly irritated by me disturbing his free time.

"I can't go with you... on the date..." his eyes focused on me as the words slipped from my mouth.